Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Latest clerk/cashier woes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Latest clerk/cashier woes?

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:31 pm

Here's mine:

1. Yesterday at a grocery store I bought a case of assorted wines that were on a fabulous sale. Each wine bottle had a discount coupon hanging on its neck. I showed up at an empty checkout at about the same time as some guy with only a six pack. I offered that he go first, "...because if you're standing in my line, you're in the wrong line. Something will go wrong."

Sometimes I can be so prescient. The cashier rang up the full price of the wines and then proceeded to scan the discount coupons one at a time. I knew something was going wrong as I watched my net price get smaller and smaller. Finally, the numbers ended at -$1.59. The cashier looked very confused and started to tell me that I owed $1.59, but she suddenly noticed the minus sign.

I told her that I thought I would buy a lot more wine if they would continue to pay me for the privilege. A manager finally had to start all over to straighten things out. And I said to the six-pack guy: "Told you so."

2. Today I hadn't eaten lunch so I needed a quick, cheap fuel fix. I ordered a beef and potato burrito at a fast food joint that I won't name because you'll laugh at me. I asked a couple of questions about what was in two of the burritos, but the response was so vague and other-worldly, I couldn't understand it.

The burrito arrived as a chicken and rice burrito (I ate it anyway). But on the plus side, I had given the cashier $1.50 for a $1.38 burrito and got 42 cents in change. And I found a dime next to my truck in the parking lot.

What's your latest tale?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Latest clerk/cashier woes?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:36 pm

I don't know that I would call these "woes" exactly. You made out pretty well on them, Larry!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Latest clerk/cashier woes?

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:39 pm

For the burrito, yes, but every time I buy wine at this grocery store it winds up stalling the lines and the manager has to be called.