Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Roasting lemon slices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Roasting lemon slices

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 pm

My latest love is roasting lemon slices in a little evoo until the juices caramelize and the edges brown. I put these in a jambalaya I made last week....heaven.

Even if used as a garnish they are so pretty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Roasting lemon slices

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Well Done. they look delicious!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Sounds interesting, Karen, but does the caramelization make them enough sweeter to balance the acidity? I just don't think I'd enjoy biting into a wedge of raw lemon, unless maybe a Meyer lemon. :|
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Not Karen, but yes it does. And it tames the bitterness; the caramel flavor is just fantastic. I'm a fan, too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:49 am

Now, they look delightful. I can just picture some of these heaped onto a crispy-roasted chicken breast - perhaps some rosemary and garlic flavours in the chicken, too. Must try this very soon.

How about orange slices? Do you give them the treatment too?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sounds interesting, Karen, but does the caramelization make them enough sweeter to balance the acidity? I just don't think I'd enjoy biting into a wedge of raw lemon, unless maybe a Meyer lemon. :|

Actually the lemon is no longer raw Robin. While cooking they release their juices and it take a few minutes for the juice to cook down. What you are left with it what you see in the picture, caramelized yummyness. Ina Garten has a Tuscan Roasted chicken that is spatchcocked. I think she calls for grilling it but we roast it and it has whole lemon halves roasted along side the chicken. I love, love that recipe, you can squeeze the juice over the checken when served but I just love sucking it out, when it is just the two of us, of course. :wink: If company is present, I am more ladylike!