Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Breakfast for 80

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Breakfast for 80

by Jenise » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Another one of my mass-feeding projects, and this time it's breakfast for our Yacht Club. It's complimentary to members and I have a budget of around $400.

Am definitely going to do a huge baked ham and have a carving station. Everything else is up for grabs. Will be testing a few recipes this afternoon, and am leaning toward anchoring the meal with some kind of egg-and-potato combination that can be cooked ahead, reheated or kept warm, and cut into squares for neat and easy service. Should keep that vegetarian, so that meat yes or no is a personal option--we do have some vegetarians.

One recipe we're testing today will be a savory-sweet muffin involving crumbled, cooked sausage and sweet potatoes. Will need at least two other muffin/coffee-cake like items, and we'll presume that most people will take one of each. Fresh fruit needs to be an item, too.

Not sure what else. Or if that's enough. Any of you do large-scale morning meal dishes or have any ideas you'd reccomend? Do-ahead ideas are highly favorable, since we don't want to get up and start cooking at 4 a.m. This event will start at 10 a.m.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Breakfast for 80

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Frittata and quiche come to mind as good bake-ahead breakfast food.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Strata. One including meat, and another for the vegetarian crowd. Lots of different accompaniments (salsa, grated cheese, sour cream, ketchup, hot sauce, etc.) so that they can be personalized to suit different tastes. I like coffee cakes rather than muffins, as a time saver, with a few store bought items thrown in. And, of course, fruit.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Spanish tortillas? Not sure how well they'd scale up, but I bet people would like them.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:38 pm

80 people, 400 dollar budget, =$5.00 per person. That's indicative of really tough times in a YACHT CLUB. :roll: My God what's the menu for the 47%? bread & water? :(
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:55 pm

The make ahead breakfast casseroles are great, and you could enlist a few volunteers to help you assemble them the day before. How about including a few of the French Toast casseroles, as well as the egg, potato versions? Most of the ones I make can be served at room temperature. Ham is always great at a carving station....I find it rather elegant to have a nice looking, sweet gentleman there carving my ham, with a smile on his face!!!!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 am

Jenise wrote:am leaning toward anchoring the meal with some kind of egg-and-potato combination that can be cooked ahead, reheated or kept warm, and cut into squares for neat and easy service.

Sounds like the Spanish "Tortilla" that you see everywhere in Madrid. Thinking of it as Spanish might justify a dusting of paprika...

Or something else tapas-inspired.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 am

Can't go wrong with poached eggs done to personal specifications
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 am

Lou Kessler wrote:80 people, 400 dollar budget, =$5.00 per person. That's indicative of really tough times in a YACHT CLUB. :roll: My God what's the menu for the 47%? bread & water? :(

There's a fee for the bread, payable to JPMorgan/Chase.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 pm

These sounded good when I saw them a few days ago:

http://abeautifulbite.com/good-morning-muffins/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Howie, I served those this past summer at another Yacht Club event so can't re-use, but they're sure good. But since you put it on the table, I'm suddenly asking myself how the same recipe would work with frozen peaches.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:These sounded good when I saw them a few days ago:

http://abeautifulbite.com/good-morning-muffins/

Those DO sound good!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:29 pm

John F wrote:Can't go wrong with poached eggs done to personal specifications

For 80? I'd kill myself. ;)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:80 people, 400 dollar budget, =$5.00 per person. That's indicative of really tough times in a YACHT CLUB. :roll: My God what's the menu for the 47%? bread & water? :(

You made me laugh! But yes, it's a pretty rinky dink little Yacht Club.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Frank Deis wrote:
Jenise wrote:am leaning toward anchoring the meal with some kind of egg-and-potato combination that can be cooked ahead, reheated or kept warm, and cut into squares for neat and easy service.

Sounds like the Spanish "Tortilla" that you see everywhere in Madrid. Thinking of it as Spanish might justify a dusting of paprika...

Or something else tapas-inspired.

Yes, very much like that. We made two yesterday, one that included artichoke/parmesan/herb and another seasoned with sharp cheddar and green onion, essentially. Both were delicious and both reheated absolutely beautifully this morning, but the difference between them wasn't measurable enough to justify the more expensive ingredients so I'll probably go with the latter. The smoked paprika would be a great addition.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Strata. One including meat, and another for the vegetarian crowd. Lots of different accompaniments (salsa, grated cheese, sour cream, ketchup, hot sauce, etc.) so that they can be personalized to suit different tastes. I like coffee cakes rather than muffins, as a time saver, with a few store bought items thrown in. And, of course, fruit.

I love stratas but find it a bit daunting on a volume basis--number of pans, amount of oven space required. Should I rethink that?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I'd do quiche in large, rectangular foil baking pans. The only sticking point is making the paté brisée in large enough format to line the pans, but I have faith in your abilities, Jenise (and it certainly beats poaching eggs for 80! :wink: ) You could even make both veggie since you've got the ham.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 pm

I find stratas very forgiving and you have the ability to adjust the ingredients accoding to what you have on hand as long as you crack enough eggs. The bread and other ingredients can slide up and down the scale (more or less of one or the other). And, they can be as sophisticated or casual as you would like -- especially given the accompaniments (caviar and creme fraisch or salsa and sour cream). It's like a quiche, but without the burden of having to produce a pate brisee. Have you also considered making gravlax? One 8-10lb salmon should be sufficient to serve ~80?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I find stratas very forgiving and you have the ability to adjust the ingredients accoding to what you have on hand as long as you crack enough eggs. The bread and other ingredients can slide up and down the scale

All that part I see. It's just the logistics of getting the quantities needed for 80ish panned and baked off with three ovens, one of which does the ham, and the pan situations of your typical home cooks. I have three large hotel pans, but two are going to be involved in the egg-potato frittata/tortilla-like dish and after that at best we have a small squad of 9 x 13's. That's what I meant about the importance of do-ahead.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm

If you have roaster pans you can make a dish for a bunch of folks. I've seen that done at events I've attended. Big casseroles in 20 -22 pound roasters. Seemed to work very well. I would think that two roasters full would serve 80 ish with the other sides you are having. Has your club invested in large chafing dishes?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm a visual person when it comes to this kind of thing, so without looking at the kitchen and the utensils, it's hard for me to visualize. But, I would think you could make stratas the night before and bke off to just before fully cooked. The issue the next morning would be the heating/warming apparatus. Hard for me to call it from here. But, you are a professional. I'm certain you will figure out a way to make it work if this is how you decide to go.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Are you having food items donated ? Not sure you can do your meal for $5.00 and include fresh fruit and all the rest you propose.
In any event, those large, electric roasters may ease your oven crunch. The ham, for sure , could be done in one. Have never used said roaster for something like strata but have used them for industrial servings of lasagna which worked. For eggs, would look for a non-stick interior. At the very least they work very well as warming ovens.

I love planning large # events but have only gone as high as 60 for a do it myself event. Good luck
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I'm a visual person when it comes to this kind of thing, so without looking at the kitchen and the utensils, it's hard for me to visualize. But, I would think you could make stratas the night before and bke off to just before fully cooked. The issue the next morning would be the heating/warming apparatus. Hard for me to call it from here. But, you are a professional. I'm certain you will figure out a way to make it work if this is how you decide to go.

Our clubhouse has a conventional POS (piece of shit) electric stove and double wall ovens. The POS oven is the largest and I'll need it for holding already cooked food, which leaves me the wall ovens for anything that has to be baked just before service. I need to check on weather or not the Clubhouse has chafing dishes. I have one I'd completely forgotten about, and if it has one that might expand my ability to keep food warm. Better check it out. I haven't relied on any clubhouse utensils for a long time as in general I own more large catering vessels than it does, but since it's a community space things have a tendency to magically appear as well as grow feet and walk away. No other group who uses it is half as ambitious as I am about group feeds, but one never knows!
Next