Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Your favorite chocolates?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Which are your three favorite brands of chocolate? (Feel free to add brands in comments)

Hersheys
No votes
Godiva
6%
Dove
6%
Lindt
24%
Neuhaus
6%
Ghirardellia
No votes
Cadbury
No votes
Ferrero Rocher
6%
ScharffenBerger
No votes
Green & Black
6%
Vosges
6%
Dagoba
No votes
Other
41%

Total votes : 17
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Your favorite chocolates?

by Hoke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Basically, that we make everything overly sweet and ruin a good product.

In general, I would largely agree with that.

On the other hand, the German/Austrian sweet tooth for such things as marzipan and gloppy tortes (like sacher torte, etc.) would undercut that argument.

But the general cake mixes and cookie mixes and suh in Murka tend to have much ore sugar and filler than those in Europe, yes.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Since I've already confessed to liking the coarse deliciousness of Hersheys, I might as well add another favorite to the list: Caramello by Cadbury. I don't typically care for Cadbury, but something about that luscious caramel is a great indulgence.

My favorite commercial candy bars are probably:

Caramello
Peanut M&Ms
Hersheys with Almonds
Kit Kat
Resses Peanut Butter Cups

But I love gourmet chocolates with higher cocoa content as well. I guess I just love chocolate in all its delicious forms. Much is made about Hersheys vs "quality chocolate" but I'll happily eat one alongside the other. No need to discriminate here. The heart (or is that the arteries) have room for both. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 am

Jeff, eating Hershey bars with almonds as a child -- and those chocolate kisses -- made it kind of a standard of comparison for me.

But I don't return to it very often. Still, I don't have contempt for Hershey bars, I just put them into a separate category.

Peanut M&Ms, I eat every Hallowe'en.

On another topic -- I went through a phase of eating 2 commercial chocolates regularly -- "Ice Cubes" and Goldenberg's Peanut Chews.

Can't afford the calories now -- I still see Goldenberg's in candy machines here but haven't seen Ice Cubes for ages.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:15 am

Well, a quick 'thank you' to all on this thread: I chased all of these names around the internet for a while and I have discovered that Richart chocolates are available in NYC again. They have not reopened their store but a place on the Upper West Side of Manahattan is flying the chocolates in from Paris twice a week. Hooray! They also carry numerous other excellent brands so I already foresee return trips for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

NB. I also discovered that Bernard Callebaut has been taken over by new management.
Previous