Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mauviel retinning

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Mauviel retinning

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Recently it was again time to have my Mauviel pots retinned. Previously I used a firm in Jersey that although they did an adequate job it took forever
to have them returned because the company did batch jobs based on a large quantity.
This year I sent the pots/pans to Rocky Mountain Retinning in Denver. Turn around time was about 2 weeks for 4 pots. Results were excellent both interior wiping
and exterior high gloss buffing. Although the company appears to turn off their website on weekends I highly recommend this company for retinning
services on all of your valuable copper pieces. :D
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Mauviel retinning

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:38 pm

We recently returned two very old Scanpan skillets with worn out finishes, and got two beautiful ones in return. All for $16 in packing and shipping. Made scrambled eggs in the 8 inch one yesterday and they slid right out like that green stuff on TV.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Reviews on Amazon for Scanpan are really mixed. I like the idea they have a lifetime warranty, however.

I have three non-stick pans from Look and I will never buy that brand again. They peel, scratch, and the handles melt in the oven, so I have been looking for three great non-stick pans. I always use wooden spoons in them, low to medium heat, hand wash and put into medium heat ovens. Look replaced two of them for me, but they did the same thing. Waste of money. My best non-stick is a stainless steel pan I tested for All Clad with the new d5 technology. It is really awesome and I'd like more. They are way to pricey and the last time I looked were still exclusive to Williams-Sonoma.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 pm

I love my scan pans.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm

I have a set of DeHillerin heavy-gauge copperware. It's all stainless steel (inox) lined, except for one piece--a Potatoes Anna pan, which is tin-lined. I haven't needed to have that retinned yet, but it's good to know of a good place to send the pan, when it eventually needs it.

-Paul W.