Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Cheese

by TimMc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:20 am

Last edited by TimMc on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: Cheese

by TimMc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:34 am

[img]http://www.wallaceandgromit.net/images/granddayout08.jpg[/img]
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:36 am

OK.

Enough fooling around....what cheeses do you prefer for:

1. Before Dinner

2. With wine

3. On food.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:00 am

Hi Tim,

You know what, the answer to questions 1 and 2 are the same, they only change when the wine changes. The stinkier the cheese, the more likely it is that I'll save it for a white wine. And with reds I love blues and cheddars, and I tend to prefer opposite ages: young cheese with old wine, old cheese with young wine.

On food? The only foods I put cheese on are tacos, some salads, and some Italian food. Those vary but are pretty usual--young cheddar on tacos, swiss cheese on spinach salad, parmesan or romano on Italian. That kind of thing.

You?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:15 am

On food? The only foods I put cheese on are tacos, some salads, and some Italian food. Those vary but are pretty usual--young cheddar on tacos, swiss cheese on spinach salad, parmesan or romano on Italian.

What?! No onion soup gratinee? No mac-and-cheese? No fonduta? No raclette? Fie! Fie, I say!

Everything is better with cheese on it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:16 am

Oh, and speaking of Wensleydale: Monty Python's Cheese Shop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDat9zdw7Gs&mode=related&search=
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:07 pm

Okay, yes, onion soup gratinee gets cheese. Raclette, mac n' cheese, and things you didn't name like cheese enchiladas or arancini or what have you, that's when the cheese is integral to the dish vs. optional, which is what I took Tim's question to be about.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:10 pm

AFTER dinner - with wine
david creighton
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:41 pm

Jenise,

To answer your question, I prefer a Sheep's cheese or a hard Romano before dinner [usually with a Syrah or other red with lots of fruit] or even a Double Gloucester or Gouda. If I'm in a white wine mood, the soft white cheeses like a Brie or a Munster will do nicely. Edam will do in a pinch.

On food...Parmesan or Romano for pasta/red sauce dishes and Provolone, Smoked Cheddar, Swiss on sandwiches. On salads...Feta or Goat's cheese are the best, IMHO.

Now with wine tasting and cheese experiences I am open to just about anything. :D