Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The proper way to scramble an egg?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: The proper way to scramble an egg?

by Jenise » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 am

You remembered! :D Yes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: The proper way to scramble an egg?

by Barb Downunder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 am

Fred Sipe wrote:Fred Sipe wrote:
Aside from scrambled I've taken to breaking 2 eggs into one of those mini non-stick skillets with a little butter under low heat and let them cook slowly. Part way through when they look ready I simply put a lid on so they cook through. When I time it right they're at that stage between runny and solid.

I remember reading somewhere, maybe here, of cooking a fried egg in butter pretty much at the lowest possible temp that it would cook. For quite some time. I think there's something to it.

In a similar vein I break the eggs into hot butter, clap on a lid and turn the heat off, let sit for a few minutes (I use a glass lid so I can see the progress without losing heat)
the yolks will just film over and be beautifully runny and the white will be cooked but very tender.
I think next time (probably Sunday brekky) I will add the spritz of water.
But then sometimes I feel like a hot cooked egg with frizzledy edges, but the yolk must of course be runny.
And sometimes cooked in bacon fat and the yolks basted to glaze over lightly.
So many good ways to cook eggs.
And back to the thread scrambled I use either the low and slow stirred and creamy, or faster with less stirring
just folding so I get larger curds.
All require good toast.
Previous