Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe report: Ken's Hunan Lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Recipe report: Ken's Hunan Lamb

by Frank Deis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Green label, Bill. Chili Garlic sauce.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 09, 2013 5:35 pm

I am bumping this -- after making it I filed it in my head as "easy Chinese" -- which it is because of the Lan Chi sauce really, which eliminates a few prep steps. At any rate, I learned that my neighbor was available to come over tonight and so we invited her for dinner and I knew I had lamb in the freezer. So I came home early and got it halfway defrosted (put it in water, and then let the microwave do its "auto defrost" thing for a few minutes). THEN I decided maybe I could cut it in half with the serrated bread knife. That went so well that I cut the whole thing up into tidy quarter inch slices and then made batons like Jenise had suggested. But now I have to look at the recipe.

I thought the vegetable portion of the dish was skimpy and I will be adding some stuff which might not be Hunan appropriate but which we like, snow peas, baby corn, baby zucchini, stuff I had lying around. Stretches the meat a little.

I'm kind of excited to be making this again, if you haven't tried it, as I said, it's easy with the right ingredients.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Which Lan Chi sauce is it? Was it on their website? I'll have a look for it.

Bill,

This is the Lan Chi Chili Paste With Garlic. It has the name in white capital letters on a green background.

There are other producers of the same sort of sauce (Lee Kum Kee, for example), but I have to agree with Jenise that the Lan Chi is top-shelf.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 09, 2013 6:38 pm

I gave Jenise one of the alternatives, easily accessible locally and expect she will try it and report back any differences.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 pm

A couple of weeks ago I sent Jenise a care package with three jars of Lan Chi Chili Garlic Paste, so she's supplied for a while.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Jenise - time to do a garlic sauce test and see if the two brands are equivalent!
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Fri May 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I thought the vegetable portion of the dish was skimpy and I will be adding some stuff which might not be Hunan appropriate but which we like, snow peas, baby corn, baby zucchini, stuff I had lying around. Stretches the meat a little.

I'm kind of excited to be making this again, if you haven't tried it, as I said, it's easy with the right ingredients.

Frank, I normally cook this dish with other Chinese dishes that have more vegetables. However, adding vegetables to the recipe is a great idea. All Chinese recipes are just guides anyway. Make them the way that makes you happy. Glad you enjoyed it.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 pm

My neighbor was VERY impressed, thanks so much Ken!!

FWIW I made Japanese Koshihikari rice -- so wrong, but so good...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 12, 2013 10:50 am

Paul Winalski wrote:A couple of weeks ago I sent Jenise a care package with three jars of Lan Chi Chili Garlic Paste, so she's supplied for a while.

-Paul W.

I've already used up half a jar. :oops:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous