Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Jenise » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Tom NJ wrote:Chao Thom out on our back porch, with a bottle our friend gave us: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/551831760573657211/

(Why do I keep getting "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." whenever I've tried to post pics the last few times?)

I dunno! I'll make sure Robin sees this, maybe he has a clue.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Jenise wrote:I've never made a Banh xeo, I'm ashamed to report. I do love it and should try it, like I want to make everything at least once.

You'll love it, Jenise! It's super simple to prepare, too. Even counting all the variations (instead of water, use beer, coconut milk, or sparkling water) it's really just a 3-ingredient eggless crepe. I hope you try it sometime :D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:04 am

Last night's dinner was sambar and iddli.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Dinner tonight: Mama Mia! Burgers for 92 people.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:14 am

Jenise wrote:Dinner tonight: Mama Mia! Burgers for 92 people.

My god, when you get hungry, you get hungry :shock:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:14 pm

LOL. And I drank 66 bottles of wine, too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Tonight: Buccatini alla amatriciana made with all the tomatoes leftover from last night's burgerama.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:35 am

Hamburgers for 92, you are a legend Jenise.

Tonight, as there is fresh truffle in the house, home made angel hair pasta with butter a touch of garlic and shaved truffle. Bread and salad. Just for the two of us.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:30 pm

Seriously! How much grill space does it take to make 92 burgers and still call it the same meal?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Turkish feast for our friend Karl. Gevüç (vegetables "cooked in a clay pot") (my clay pot was made of metal), and Hünkar begendi. The latter dish is a rich tomatoey lamb stew, served over a creamy sauce made from "burned" eggplant pulp and cheese made into a bechamel (butter, flour, and milk). I used Kashkabal, a mild middle eastern cheese. These are 2 of my favorite Turkish dishes. The eggplant sauce (which some people call "begendi" sauce) is one of my favorite things in the world.

Hünkar begendi (the final "i" should have no dot) means "the sultan liked it" so "begendi" is a verb. "Beyenduh" Internal g's are often not pronounced as G in Turkish -- Fage yogurt, Erdogan, etc. "Faye" "Erdowan"
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:16 am

Going totally retro tonight.

Purchased two beautiful, nicely marbled fillet steaks this morning, got them home and....light bulb moment. I have the best leftovers, a few slices of brioche, enough foie gras and truffle, so classic tornadoes Rossini with a creamy mash for us tonight, yum.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Last night we got home from a camping trip to Pemberton, British Columbia. Once on the American side of the border, we stopped at a small grocer whose meat and produce actually looked pretty awful. I bought a head of romaine and a package of ground pork thinking I might do tacos wherein trimmed romaine leaves subbed for tortillas. By the time we got home, though, my thoughts turned Asian because I had half a jar of bamboo shoots in chile oil in the fridge it would be nice to use up. Sadly, I lacked water chestnuts for the characteristic crunch, but then I unpacked an unused baggie of ground cauliflower that I had taken on the trip to make a 'cous cous' out of that never happened. :idea: OUTSTANDING! In fact it was so good that I upped the cauliflower to pork ratio to about 50/50.

While away, I made these meals on my little Coleman campfire grill:

Grilled Vaudovan chicken breast filets (each breast halved laterally) with a coconut-mint orzotto
Roasted rainbow trout (fresh out of the Thompson River, B.C.) with fresh tarragon, lemon butter and grilled tomato halves
Poached shrimp served in a warm vinaigrette with capers, garlic and lemon
Scrambled eggs Denver style* and grilled Rosemary muffins
Blueberry french toast and bacon

*I fine-diced a copious amount of white onion, jalapeno peppers and thick bacon and sauteed those separate from the the scrambling of ten eggs and a little half and half, then mixed them together in the egg skillet when the eggs were done and topped all with grated aged cheddar--all the flavors of a Denver omelette but a billion times easier to prepare and serve hot at once to four people on a cold, rainy morning
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:49 am

Show-off! (Coconut-mint orzotto on a Coleman stove???)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:46 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Show-off! (Coconut-mint orzotto on a Coleman stove???)

Even worse: it's a 12" square grill with a burner on the side for pans. :) But yeah, that's my idea of campfire food!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Show-off! (Coconut-mint orzotto on a Coleman stove???)

Even worse: it's a 12" square grill with a burner on the side for pans. :) But yeah, that's my idea of campfire food!

Yeah, so which Swiss Army knife comes with the coconut-cracking attachment _and_ the mint-cutting blade? :shock:

Coleman Spork my foot.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 pm

I've been away from home for most of July and was finally able to get back to cooking this past weekend.

Saturday, we had friends over and I made the roasted chicken with clementines and arak, from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem. I served it with plain white rice (as was recommended) and roasted broccoli. We also had a shrimp salad and a tomato-veg salad that our friends brought. The chicken was cooked with arak (or Pernod, in my case), orange juice, lemon juice, mustard, fennel bulbs, sliced clementines, and several other spices. It made for an interesting and complex dish. Dessert (made, of course, by my wife) was a blueberry cobbler that had an extremely high ratio of blueberries to crust.

Sunday, we had another couple over and I made grilled fish skewers with hawayej and parsley, also from Jerusalem. This is a very straightforward dish in which you rub cubes of fish with the hawayej (a mix of black pepper, cumin, coriander, cloves, cardamom, and turmeric), let them sit for a while, and then skewer and grill. The spices were not as strong as I thought they'd be, but that turned out well as the fish I used was a particularly nice piece of sea bass and it did not need to be overwhelmed. To go with this, I had fresh English peas that I blanched and then sauteed with crispy pancetta and couscous. We had a starter of gazpacho and our friends kicked in some delicious tabbouleh. For dessert, my wife took advantage of some particularly excellent strawberries we picked up earlier in the day at the farmer's market, serving them with homemade shortcake and whipped cream.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Chicken and tasso jambalaya tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Made a great rack of lamb last night but to cool it down to cool weather food, I served it on couscous laced with unsweetened coconut and topped it with a cauliflower/mint/lime/garlic gremolata. Mighty fine!

Not cooking at home tonight.

And tomorrow: It's Terrine time again! My entry this year is 100% original, a Southern play on the Burgundian classic Jambon Perseilles. I'm calling it the: Nuits St. Georgia Terrine (baked ham and mustard greens with compressed fennel and orange confit), garnished with rhubarb aspic and a flakey chive biscuit. The wines are a '13 Teutonic Wine Company pinot noir and an '05 Chandon de Brialles Volnay.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:50 pm

My idea of lamb chops for hot weather is to grill them over charcoal the night before and eat them cold the next day.

About the terrine... what does it mean to compress fennel?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:58 am

Compressing is squeezing all or most of the moisture out via vacuum-packing with a Food Saver or better. I was going to briefly sous vide fanned out fennel slices and then compress them--intensity of flavor and texture results. But I thought better of that plan when I changed my mind about which form I'd mold my terrine in . Each serving will be two overlapping slices from a smaller half-moon form, and to mirror that shape I compressed cylinder shapes of watermelon overnight (what's more southern than watermelon, I ask you) that I'll cut in half, sprinkle with lime juice and maldon salt, then top with "cheese grits" made of raw chopped English peas and ground Cougar Gold cheddar. The cheese not only plays into the southern theme, it provides a perfect savory bridge back to the wines and the fruit component comes across as fruity but not sweet--just like wine! The watermelon hadn't been in my original plan, it's just that I bought a watermelon yesterday and opened it up to make a snack for us while I was cooking. It's a perfect melon--the ripeness and sweetness we always hope for but rarely actually get. When I remembered the southern connection, I started thinking about how to work it in--the other ingredients were things I just happened to have.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Not that I'd ever wondered what 420 day old beef tastes like, but this article interestingly answers the question.

http://www.eater.com/2016/7/29/12324720 ... john-tesar
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:02 am

Jenise wrote:Compressing is...

Thanks for the explanation.

I love the idea of the English pea cheese grits!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:11 am

Jenise wrote:Not that I'd ever wondered what 420 day old beef tastes like, but this article interestingly answers the question.

http://www.eater.com/2016/7/29/12324720 ... john-tesar

Thanks for this link, Jenise. I have not eaten much 'old' steak but his report of the flavors in the three older samples sound a bit off-putting to me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:13 pm

Didn't sound good to me either.

Speaking of steak, tonight we're grilling a 1.5 lb ribeye for dinner. Will probably go with some kind of a rice dish with that, and a romaine and red onion salad to start. I'm beat from the last two days: just want to sit on my fanny and stare at the water!
PreviousNext