Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Paul Winalski » Sun May 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Dinner last night was Punjabi chicken with fenugreek leaves.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 09, 2016 9:16 am

Mom's Day supper last night was one of my wife's favorites: meat loaf and mashed potatoes. To go with that, we had roasted asparagus and custards made with morels and garlic chives,
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Last night, we had a green salad followed by chicken ravioli in a pesto broth.

Today's Meatless Monday, so probably a sauteed vegetable couscous.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Salmon Day again. Tomorrow, dinner with friends at an Austrian restaurant. Wednesday pot roast. Thursday dinner in the cellar. Friday... well, probably pot roast but ::shakes Magic 8-Ball:: reply hazy, try again later.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 10, 2016 9:02 am

Sue Courtney arrives today!!!!!! And lucky her, it's Dork Night, so she's going to be doing some fine wine tasting tonight in a friend's backyard. Grilled salmon and roasted vegetables will be provided by the host. I'll add a potato/fennel/mustard/herb salad for dinner and an appie (the blue cheese and smoked almond guacamole I posted recently).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu May 12, 2016 4:29 am

Rabbit casserole tonight, great for a wintery evening.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 12, 2016 6:30 am

For Sue we made Chinese five spice smoked duck, vegetable fried rice, and smashed cucumbers.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun May 15, 2016 1:47 am

So lunch was rabbit pie made from the leftovers of the rabbit casserole and some extra mushrooms.
And tonight will be Hiananese chicken rice.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 16, 2016 7:22 pm

Last night, we had roast chicken with a side of sauteed asparagus, morels, favas, and pancetta served over cheesy grits. The cheese in the grits was a truffled burrata that showed up around here recently.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 17, 2016 10:07 am

We got home from a weekend in Lake Havasu yesterday and picked up a rib eye and a handful of fresh ramps at the new Whole Foods Market on our way home from the airport. We 'reverse smoked' the rib eye, putting it in the barbecue for 'indirect' smoking for about an hour, until it reached an internal temp of about 110 F. Then we rested it for ten minutes, rubbed it with a mix of salt/sugar/pepper and seared it for about three minutes for the final cook. After another ten minute rest, we had the most perfectly rare steak imaginable (warm rare, that is, no blue meat for the Stones!) lightly redolent of smoldering applewood, sliced and served on the ramps and drizzled with a bit of chopped green olives in garlic with olive oil and a touch of lemon juice. Major yum.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 17, 2016 11:07 am

Jenise wrote:We got home from a weekend in Lake Havasu yesterday and picked up a rib eye and a handful of fresh ramps at the new Whole Foods Market on our way home from the airport. We 'reverse smoked' the rib eye, putting it in the barbecue for 'indirect' smoking for about an hour, until it reached an internal temp of about 110 F. Then we rested it for ten minutes, rubbed it with a mix of salt/sugar/pepper and seared it for about three minutes for the final cook. After another ten minute rest, we had the most perfectly rare steak imaginable (warm rare, that is, no blue meat for the Stones!) lightly redolent of smoldering applewood, sliced and served on the ramps and drizzled with a bit of chopped green olives in garlic with olive oil and a touch of lemon juice. Major yum.

That does sound really good.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Sun May 22, 2016 12:44 am

For Mother's Day, two tarts, both more or less from Christine Ferber's "Mes tartes".

Chèvre et asperges
IMG_2048.JPG

Crème fraîche et fraises
IMG_2049.JPG

I have always been pleased with the results from this cookbook, but these recipes are really not made for the home cook. The pâte is labeled in grams and imperial units, but very inconvenient for making single pies. In one case, the tart called for a 1/4 recipe of pastry.

And tonight, I was craving poutine. Gouda cheese curds from the farmer's market, duck fat fries from big Yukon golds baked and broiled in the oven, and roux gravy. However, I was out of frozen demi glace, and so the delicious gravy was made from a drained Tetrapak of chicken noodle soup and a hearty dash of Accent (MSG). Yum. I keep reading about various San Francisco restaurants that have poutine, but I've yet to have an acceptable version outside Canada. There's a chain in Berkeley that's supposed to be the real deal, but it's not that difficult to make if you can find the curds. Paired with aged Le Fin du Monde, a Belgian-style trippel from Unibroue in Quebec.

13244651_10153840446058292_7713424017743280111_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Walt, your tarts are just stunning. One of the funnest things about making food of this type, vs. a standard dinner, is all the hours you can spend sitting around admiring your work before cutting it up. Most platings, however lovely otherwise, exist for only minutes.

Your poutine looks good! Best I've had was at a restaurant in Whistler BC--shoestring potatoes, chopped garlic, demi-glace and cow's milk feta. The worst was at a little café somewhere on the way to the Okanagan valley. VERY Midwestern--crinkle cut frozen fries, oven baked, with canned gravy and a rubbery young supermarket orange-colored cheese that was too mild to qualify as cheddar. I haven't had it in the States, though I did very recently see it on a menu somewhere--just can't remember where!

Our dinner tonight: Linguine in a broccoli rabe/walnut/pecorino pesto. Tomato salad to start.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 22, 2016 8:25 pm

risotto20160522.jpg

We make this risotto often during asparagus season. This time Milanese, with saffron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 24, 2016 10:04 am

Not usually one to buy prepared foods, but last week at farmer's market both places that have ramps in spring were sold out, but one place had ramp pesto, so got small jar. So last night I used the Ottolenghi Plenty poaching liquid (wine, olive oil, lemon, bay, onion, celery) to poach some leeks, carrots, and green beans. Chopped and tossed some with the pesto and some pasta, saved lunch today. Saving the liquid to use again (maybe for fish).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Dale, a ramp pesto? That sounds delish. Whole Foods Market was officially out of ramps yesterday so that little treat has left my world, but I sure loved the two batches we got. I wonder why they don't grow here? I would think they could.

I have a piece of halibut to cook for dinner tonight. Bought it at WF yesterday and planned to make it for dinner, but we were both starving (no lunch) when we shopped and succombed to two slices of their wood-fire pizza. By the time we got home, we weren't as hungry as we expected to be, so we settled for a salad and a bowl of cherries. I'll roast the halibut tonight. BUT, when we bought it? We perused the available fish and settled on halibut, and I asked the fishcounter guy to dig down one layer to see if the second piece had white skin "because white is better."

The fish guy was black.

"OH SHIT," I said. "That did not come out right." He laughed and graciously sat through my explanation of the textural differences between the top and belly sides, and why I prefer belly. He had not heard this before. Alaskans who have access to halibut frequently like I used to tend to form a preference one way or the other.

He also gave me a piece of Paiche (pronounced PIE-chay) to try, a very large, pike-like Brazilian river fish that's now being farmed for sustainabilty. I'll report back!
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed May 25, 2016 11:59 am

Jenise wrote:I have a piece of halibut to cook for dinner tonight. Bought it at WF yesterday and planned to make it for dinner, but we were both starving (no lunch) when we shopped and succombed to two slices of their wood-fire pizza. By the time we got home, we weren't as hungry as we expected to be, so we settled for a salad and a bowl of cherries. I'll roast the halibut tonight. BUT, when we bought it? We perused the available fish and settled on halibut, and I asked the fishcounter guy to dig down one layer to see if the second piece had white skin "because white is better."

The fish guy was black.

"OH SHIT," I said. "That did not come out right." He laughed and graciously sat through my explanation of the textural differences between the top and belly sides, and why I prefer belly. He had not heard this before. Alaskans who have access to halibut frequently like I used to tend to form a preference one way or the other.
!

BWAHAHAHAA! :lol:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 26, 2016 6:17 am

Dale Williams wrote:Not usually one to buy prepared foods, but last week at farmer's market both places that have ramps in spring were sold out, but one place had ramp pesto, so got small jar..

I'm also not big on prepared foods, but when we're talking about farmers markets products with not many ingredients, I can be swayed. I've been buying bärlauch pesto in the farmers market for the past month or so and loving it. So easy to use and bring so much flavor to a dish (pasta obviously, but also sauteed mushrooms, beans, whatever).

Apparently bärlauch is ramson in English, which is the European version of ramps, but some go to great lengths to talk about their differences. Not sure I can really tell, but the garlicky pungency/flavor is certainly there!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 am

Last night's dinner was Beijing meat sauce noodles. Tonight's dinner will be Gong Bao Ji Ding, but with cashews instead of peanuts.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 29, 2016 4:39 pm

I did pasta with a meat sauce last night, too, Paul. I was on the edge of going Chinese with a Dan-Dan style, but succombed to the urge for Italian that Bob was jonesing for.

I'm in empty-the-fridge mode, so today I turned three ears of corn, two chayote squash and a few jalapenos into a chowder that went into the fridge, and pressure cooked/trimmed/grilled four artichokes that are now marinating for a cold buffet dinner tonight that will include mixed olives, duck liver mousse and a hunk of Humboldt Fog. I'm really trying to get to zero!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Dinners on the grill: Tonight, shrimp skewers and quail. Made in advance for Tuesday: haddock. Made in advance for Friday: possibly the most beautiful bone-in ribeye (30-day age, grass fed/grain finish) that I've ever seen, 1.5" thick, black and blue now, to be cooked to completion -- whatever that means for you -- then.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon May 30, 2016 12:54 pm

For last night I cooked Lamb Shanks in red wine with root vegetables, served with roast potatoes and Savoy cabbage

I browned the shanks, lightly dusted in flour
then put in large pan with chunks of
carrot, parsnip, celeriac and a quartered medium size onion
added three small chillies finely chopped, garlic, several dashes of Worcestershire sauce, spoonful gravy powder,splash ketchup
then covered with red wine

Covered brought to boil then put in low temp oven (140C) for 3 hours. Meat was falling off bones. Turned off oven, left it there
Come dinner time, put in upper oven to keep warm while roasting pots.

Served with Spice Route Mourvedre. Lovely.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 pm

Thai-style red curry with cauliflower and tofu. And lots of fresh cilantro from the garden.

Thai-cauliflower-red-curry.jpg
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue May 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thai-style red curry with cauliflower and tofu.

Is it the camera? My monitor? Why does that look like Thai yellow curry to me? My red curries are vibrant red.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
PreviousNext