Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:59 am

What a story! I think Fritz deserves to be handwashed and have his propane tank topped off.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:37 am

ZBoat3.jpg

Last night's dinner. Zucchini Boats stuffed with Italian sausage, onions, green peppers, tomatoes and topped with mozzarella.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:32 am

That looks good, Howie!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:55 am

Indeed it does. I'm getting used to 'Big Zucchini' as it will be called around here. Farmers tend to grow it large; not something I ever saw in southern California, but used to occasionally see when I lived in England, where they called it Marrow.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:43 pm

English vegetable marrow is a distinct variety from zucchini, which the English call courgette. But both are varieties of the same species of gourd, as are also spaghetti squash, pattypan, yellow summer squash, crookneck, the ornamental squashes, and pumpkin.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Did not know it was a distinct variety (obviously). But of course I understand all the others.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Dinner tonight: having five other couples over for a social dinner/planning meeting. Am serving a meal that's loosely a provencal style casual bistro dinner, since people will have to eat in their laps. For appies, will serve blanched green beans in a walnut vinaigrette and little tartines of foie gras torchon and homemade tomato jam with dry cider in lieu of champagne. Dinner will be Rhone reds with Joel Robuchon's potato and bacon gratin on the same plate with a garlicky romaine-fennel salad. Guests are bringing dessert.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Put our traps out yesterday for the first time in several weeks. Waited all day, deliberated over inviting another couple to join us for a big crab dinner, then ended up not doing that. Good thing. Our catch? Two keepers. Four traps, but all we caught were women and children. Scads of them. Ended up having to make pasta for dinner. Moved our traps to a new location and left them out overnight, hoping for better. Will go see what we've got in a few minutes---then I'll tell you if we're having crab for dinner or not. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:58 pm

Last night was our neighborhood block party and drive-in movie. For the occasion, I marinated and grilled a flank steak and made a green bean salad. The salad was dead simple: I fried up some bacon bits, then added some balsamic to a tablespoonful of the grease and tossed the blanched beans in it. The bacon was then added in as was a half a lemon's worth of zest. Very nice.

My wife bookended my contributions with crab balls as an appetizer and two flavors of whoopie pies for dessert.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Nice choices, Mike. Love that you did a green bean salad--green beans perform so beautifully this way, it's a surprise that more people don't consider the option.

We ended up with 18 Dungeness for the weekend. Am testing freezing methods to see if I can't extend what we have to more crab dinners over the next month, in particular Charles Phan's pan roasted Dungeness with lemon grass and garlic. Today, I'll make crab cakes for the freezer. The fat from the mayo is a good preservative and we will enjoy crab cakes for the next three months.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:48 pm

And today I'm making a bobotie for tonight's South African wine tasting. Also, putting up five more quarts of green tomato pickles.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:18 am

Dinner last night was an improvised stir-fried chicken with black bean sauce, made using Lee Kum Kee black bean and garlic sauce as the base. It was a success and will be going into the general rotation.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 pm

I made Rose Levy Beranbaum's kickass pear tart with almond cream the other day, and wifey and I decided to have the leftovers as our dinner tonight. Intense moans of gustatory bliss ensued.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/72/cf/52/72cf52fd99296323eb114ad3cdc9bd43.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f7/ea/d9/f7ead9efd9d38f2886cfe10ca5e93dea.jpg

The wine...? Uh, yeah. Méthode traditionnelle. Waddaya gonna do. It's actually my go-to bubbly, the once or twice a year we have bubbly. And besides, I used it to make matching kickass Bellinis with the poaching liquid. Good swill would have been wasted. :D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Tom, that's drop-dead gorgeous. Like, bakery-perfect. Are you sure you're not Christina Tosi in disguise?
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Are you sure you're not Christina Tosi in disguise?

Oh no! I've been found out!!

Lol. Thanks, Jenise - my head(s) will now not fit through the kitchen door any more :lol:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:54 pm

I had already bought some red drum at the fish market and was picking up a few things at Whole Foods when I spotted banana leaves. Seemed easy enough to use, and cheap, so I immediately decided to have fish steamed in banana leaf for lunch. My first time using them, but I was very satisfied!

I made a loose 'pesto' with basil, arugula, almonds, ginger, garlic, olive oil and lime, which I put on the fish before steaming in the leaf. The 'pesto' was also a sauce at the table, which went well with the roasted potatoes and sauteed eggplant as well. All very delicious and the fish was quite succulent, which is how I like my fish. Will definitely be doing it again!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:28 am

Visited a market which will become part of my go to places and found great Chinese cabbage and daikon so ... Today I have put up a jar of kimchi, and one of saurkraut.

Also had some strawberries whose initial fate did not eventuate so turning them into jam.

Jenise, wow fresh crab, I love crab, fiddly bits aside I reckon they are up there with lobster.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Okay, so I meant to get two little poussains out of the freezer last night for tonight's dinner, some brining would have been involved. But I forgot.

Now what?
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:32 am

Jenise wrote:Okay, so I meant to get two little poussains out of the freezer last night for tonight's dinner, some brining would have been involved. But I forgot.

Now what?

Did you find a solution, Jenise? I was thinking a wet prep, like a fricassee, stew, or even steamed with an Asian treatment. What did you decide?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:Okay, so I meant to get two little poussains out of the freezer last night for tonight's dinner, some brining would have been involved. But I forgot.

Now what?

Did you find a solution, Jenise? I was thinking a wet prep, like a fricassee, stew, or even steamed with an Asian treatment. What did you decide?

Yeah, we ate at the neighbor's house. :)

Tonight I planned dinner based on a hankering for lima beans. And I have some corn on the cob, so I bought frozen limas to make a succotash and pork cutlets to schnitzel. :)
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Yeah, we ate at the neighbor's house. :)

BWAHAHAA! My favorite recipe :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Btw, I'm also going to make a potato-chevre terrine to take to an event on Saturday night. I made one a few days ago to serve with roasted baby beets and an old pinot noir (a magical food-wine pairing), and am going to make another that I'll serve with steamed asparagus and an orange-shallot-tarragon sauce to fit a Tuscan theme on Saturday night (with Sauv blanc).

And I'll be brining almost 20 pounds of king salmon which I'll smoke tomorrow. And tomorrow we prep another 30 pounds of Coho salmon for cedar planking barbecuing tomorrow night. It's my neighborhood wine club's monthly 'do', and we're doing a salmon roast. Wine pairings will be pinot noir, merlot and some fruity Valpolicellas.

DSCF1388.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:Yeah, we ate at the neighbor's house. :)

BWAHAHAA! My favorite recipe :lol:

Sometimes it just pays to stand outside with a glass of wine in one hand and a bottle in the other. Things happen!
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Sometimes it just pays to stand outside with a glass of wine in one hand and a bottle in the other. Things happen!

And if it doesn't...you've still got a bottle of wine in one hand and a glass in the other! Win-win :D
PreviousNext