Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 pm

A simple bowl of pasta carbonara tonight. Fortunately, I was alone so no one had to see or hear the commotion as I gobbled that up! :wink:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 am

Grilled marinated Chinese-style chicken wings tonight.

Thai Chicken Satay tomorrow night.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Thai-style red curry with green beans, onions, green peppers, ginger and garlic, coconut milk and warm Thai spice, garnished with cilantro from the garden.

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:27 pm

pick of the day.jpg

Garden pick of the day: heirloom romaine, garlic scapes, spearmint and wrinkled cress - about to be transformed into spicy lamb lettuce wraps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 pm

A chuck roast has been marinating for 1 1/2 days in fresh lemon juice and zest, evoo, green onions, worchestershire,and Dijon. It will be grilled to a medium rare. Sides are a cauliflower, Yukon Gold mash with my first garden garlic, roasted and smashed with the veggies. Green beans blanched, then cooked with a little butter, garlic, sweet basil and Sungold cherry tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Fired up the charcoal grill tonight: NY strips and a rack of lamb.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Some of the exploration I am doing almost feels like anthropology/archaeology. Today I made Ful for the first time. This is an ancient dish in Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, and neighboring countries. You find small dried fava beans (finding the ingredients is really half the battle), soak them overnight, and in the morning cook for an hour or two until the beans are falling apart. Then add salt, pepper, crushed garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon juice, and cumin, and mush everything together. When I tasted it I said "why all this lemon??"

If you live in that part of the world, what do you have in the back yard? Olive trees and lemon trees. Lemons are free. That's why lemon flavor is a signature of the whole culture. And garlic and cumin must also grow locally. I think Ful is delicious. For supper I toasted pita bread, spread a layer of Labne (a thick sour strained yogurt), spooned in some warm Ful and some chickpeas, and stuffed in a slice of tomato and some leaves (baby spinach). Really satisfying and good... And a window into a whole culture.

Next time, less lemon.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Made a Moroccan spiced chicken pot pie based on an Epicurious recipe. It called for chicken, fresh lemon, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, almonds, golden raisins. I left out the olives and added preserved lemons, carrots, a little dried chipotle, and diced potatoes. I also used Trader Joe's pie crust. It was good, but I was looking for something that had a tagine type of spiciness to it and this did not. It would be worth trying again, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Dinner tonight will be a soft lettuce salad followed by broiled lobster tails with tarragon-butter rice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:43 pm

I have an overabundance of rapini in my garden so have been using it as often as I can . Made stuffed peppers with lamb, bulghur, pine nuts, onions, Aleppo pepper, sundried tomatoes and rapini that had been cooked with olive opil and garlic. Never used greens in the stuffing mix before. Quite like it !
About to start processing for the freezer. Makes a great stuffing for pasta shells or crepes or savory tortes as well as the classic Puglese sauce with pork sausage for orichietti. My family loves bitter greens of any type.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Warmed Bolillo rolls buttered, then filled with roast beef cooked in beef stock and fresh garlic until very tender along with Piquillo peppers, and baby arugula. We will dip them into the beef stock like a French Dip. A plate of garden tomatoes, and sliced cukes, sprinkled with salt, pepper and chervil.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:35 pm

If you live in that part of the world, what do you have in the back yard? Olive trees and lemon trees

I don't live in that part of the world but do have a lemon tree. If ones tree is healthy, like ours, they are prolific. Last year it gave us 520 lemons. We gave many away, then zested and juiced the rest. I have bags of beautiful yellow lemon cubes in Food Saver bags, and bags of zest in my freezer. Took a look at my lemon tree this morning and again it is loaded. I have not bought a fresh lemon in a very long time, except when I make a dish that I want roasted lemons in, or sliced lemons in a beverage. Olive trees are abundant here in our neck of the woods and seem to be very prolific, as well. 8)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

spring on the plate

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Always nice to have a meal that fully embodies the seasonal transition. Tonight it was spinach-based foglie d'ulivo with baby artichoke hearts, green olives, ricotta, mozzarella, basil, and lemon. Delicious. The salad of shredded carrots with oregano didn't hurt either.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Ooh, I love shredded carrot salads!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Ooh, I love shredded carrot salads!

So does my wife. It's pretty much a guaranteed hit, which is always nice. And I always enjoy making punchy vinaigrettes with lots of flavor, so it works for me too.

Surprisingly, our 2.5 year old son will also eat carrots that way (it helps if we include things like saba or sweetish vinegars in the vinaigrette) but tonight's fresh oregano was too strong for him and he had to pick out the green shards.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Spaghetti tonight with spicy turkey meatballs made with lean gr. turkey, sweet turkey sausage, prosciutto, asiago cheese, fresh parsley and oregano, milk, bread, red pepper flakes, eggs, a little evoo, and oven baked. They will finish off in a rich marinara sauce. A side of sautéed Super Caserta zucchini and sugar snap peas.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Argentinian surf and turf: a prime filet mignon roast for four and garlic-marinated shrimp with chimichurri sauce to take advantage of my garden's bounty in the fresh green herb department with a cumin-scented rice. That main course will follow a green salad with avocado-lime vinaigrette and a skillet of charred peppers di padrone. Oh, and lots of cabernet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am

Italian vegetable soup with fresh herbs, using up an abandence of goodies I have in stock right now. I am also using golden beets in an salad of some sort.....not sure yet.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 pm

This being such a late spring start around here for the garden, we just had our first pea harvest. Lunch was sugar snap and snow peas, sauteed in butter with garlic scapes, tarragon and chervil, with a bit of lettuce wilted in at the last minute. Gotta love a whole meal that comes straight from the garden (apart from the butter, S&P)!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Tonight's dinner will be kung pao chicken, but with cashews instead of peanuts.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Joy, it's early in the season and I'm already jealous of your garden!

Supper Club's tonight, and I'm hosting. The theme is Tuscan Summer Family Feast, and I'm providing the antipasto platter of various salumi, roasted olives, and a pair of artichokes soaked in a tomato vinaigrette. Another couple is doing a pasta primi. The secundi is going to be a big roasted porchetta (whole pork tenderloin wrapped in several layers of mortadella set in a forcemeat of ground pork, salami, garlic, shallot and rosemary all rolled up inside a boned out 1" thick layer of trimmed pork shoulder which is soaking in a marinade of more garlic, EVOO and rosemary), white truffled roasted brussels sprouts, turnips braised in chianti and honey, and black kale on a bed of ricotta with lemon rind and OO, all by me, and panzanella and a farro tart by my guests. Someone is also bringing homemade chocolate and zabaglione gelatos.

Oh, and I'm also making a Limoncello/Gin/Rosemary and Campari cocktail! This is the only part I'm nervous about.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Pictures and report of that porchetta please .....have never done the real thing because it is impossible to buy pork shoulder with the skin ON. Have tried approximations and nothing comes close to the crispy skin and succulent, intensely flavored roasted meat when the skin is intact
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:31 pm

I provided prime NY strip steaks and a bottle of 2000 Pagodes de Cos (St Estèphe). Neighbors provided pommes Anna and a tasty spinach dish, plus big portobello mushrooms. For dessert I made a dead ripe juicy honeydew melon into balls and cut up a delicious ripe peach, and we had those with some purple sorbet from the neighbors. They also have a really nice grill on the deck and we ate out there. Steaks were blackened on the outside and red on the inside. In some ways a perfect meal...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 am

Spaghetti with a quick sauce of sauteed julienne red, orange and yellow peppers, browned onions and garlic, part of the sautee buzzed into a puree and mixed back in to make a sauce.

PreviousNext