Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:16 am

Last evening since my bride had been gone for a couple of days I made a simple comfort meal. Confetti meatloaf- ground beef and chicken, egg, salt, pepper and a bit of each of almost all the vegetables that were around. Since the bride is on a no wheat "maybe" no gluten kick I did not add some bread crumbs. This meant that I had to drain off a tremendous amount of vegetable juice before I added the glaze. Years ago I learned a tried and true method to hold meatballs, patties and loaves together so they will hold on a steam table. Add some grated raw potato. I glazed the top with a little Asian style honey vinaigrette.

The loaf and a caesar salad made the meal. The wine was a 2000 Cantemerle.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Chicken and andouille jambalaya tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Chicken and andouille jambalaya tonight.

-Paul W.

I'll be right over.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:34 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:Last evening since my bride had been gone for a couple of days I made a simple comfort meal. Confetti meatloaf- ground beef and chicken, egg, salt, pepper and a bit of each of almost all the vegetables that were around. Since the bride is on a no wheat "maybe" no gluten kick I did not add some bread crumbs. This meant that I had to drain off a tremendous amount of vegetable juice before I added the glaze. Years ago I learned a tried and true method to hold meatballs, patties and loaves together so they will hold on a steam table. Add some grated raw potato. I glazed the top with a little Asian style honey vinaigrette.

The loaf and a caesar salad made the meal. The wine was a 2000 Cantemerle.

How was the Cantemerle? I opened one exactly one year ago, and it was a lot meaner/greener than I expected. Has it settled down any?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:03 pm

How was the Cantemerle? I opened one exactly one year ago, and it was a lot meaner/greener than I expected. Has it settled down any?

It was nice. It went well with the meal but was not a meal stopper sort of wine. It opened as the meal progressed. It did not taste green to me but we were eating a entree that included an array of vegetables many of which were green. Frankly the wine brought back memories of the $1-2 a bottle Medocs we bought by the case in the late 60's.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Tonight it is a sort of Asian chicken, marinated in soy, dark brown sugar, fresh ginger, garlic, sesame oil, pepper and red pepper flakes. Then baked in the oven, turned once, then broiled to crisp up the skin side.
Also, a wild mushroom risotto. Chicken stock is seasoned with fresh thyme and bay leaves. Risotto is made with leeks, garlic, mushrooms, Arborio rice, white wine and Parmesan.
Also a side of fresh broccoli from the Farmer's Market, just picked this morning. These are smaller stalks now rather than the heads, as the weather is warming up even in the foothills where a lot of the cool season stuff is still available.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Came home from my post-treatment fitness program to find that my wife had put together a dish from a cookbook called "Hugh's Three Good Things", by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It's just canned white beans, cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, and fresh thyme with a garlic-mustard-balsamic vinaigrette. It's the kind of thing that goes together in no time at all and is surprisingly robust and complex in flavor. If you wanted to go veggie, you could leave out the ham and still have a delicious meal. It was served with pieces of sourdough baguette.

It made for a really tasty summer weeknight dish.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:44 am

Mike, that sounds to me like a riff on the venerable Tuscan bean salad -- altho I suppose tuna, onion, and olive oil is pretty different. It always surprises me how much I find myself enjoying that when we have it. Beans can be savory, substantial, and satisfying, that is true...
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 pm

I admit that I do short cut every once in a while...okay more than that with beans. Everytime I swear to myself never again will I use canned beans. They are IMHO over cooked, slimy, & pretty tasteless. There is nothing like beans done from dry to finish. The flavor and the texture make the dish. Canned to my palate are like filler.

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Came home from my post-treatment fitness program to find that my wife had put together a dish from a cookbook called "Hugh's Three Good Things", by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It's just canned white beans, cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, and fresh thyme with a garlic-mustard-balsamic vinaigrette. It's the kind of thing that goes together in no time at all and is surprisingly robust and complex in flavor. If you wanted to go veggie, you could leave out the ham and still have a delicious meal. It was served with pieces of sourdough baguette.

Mike, were the cherry tomatoes added at the finish or were they more cooked and broken down? I'd like to try this tomorrow night, maybe I can find the recipe online.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:34 am

Tonight is is BLT's, with a macaroni and fresh pea salad. The dressing has a little horseradish in it, with lots of fresh tarragon, green onions and red serrano peppers. It has a nice kick, and is colorful.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Came home from my post-treatment fitness program to find that my wife had put together a dish from a cookbook called "Hugh's Three Good Things", by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It's just canned white beans, cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, and fresh thyme with a garlic-mustard-balsamic vinaigrette. It's the kind of thing that goes together in no time at all and is surprisingly robust and complex in flavor. If you wanted to go veggie, you could leave out the ham and still have a delicious meal. It was served with pieces of sourdough baguette.

Mike, were the cherry tomatoes added at the finish or were they more cooked and broken down? I'd like to try this tomorrow night, maybe I can find the recipe online.

Karen - These were halved and added in cold - they were not cooked. Their sweet, juicy flavor complemented the balsamic nicely. If I have a chance, I'll post the RCP when I get home this afternoon.

Frank - Definitely in the same family as Tuscan bean salad, but with very different flavors. The thyme is added in at a fairly hefty level, so it and the balsamic are prominent. The beans, tomatoes, and prosciutto play off of them.

Geo - While going with dried beans is always better, I find the canned beans we use to be quite adequate for quick meals like this one. Once rinsed, they aren't slimy and have some flavor to them (although not nearly what you'd get from cooking up dried ones).

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Tonight's wine club, so all I have to prepare is an appie to share. As the food at these events tends to be carb-centric, and since the wines are all white, I'm taking a bowl of sugar snap peas flash-sauteed in olive oil and dry white vermouth. I'll finish them with fresh mint and salt just before serving.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Cacio e pepe: coarsely ground black pepper browned in butter, emulsified with a little pasta water and tossed with spaghetti, Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses. It's based on the recent New York Times recipe linked below, but I wanted to try the original Italian recipe without The Times' healthy but less authentic addition of peas and fava beans, so we held the veggies to serve on the side. Good decision. The dish alone is amazing.
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014828/ ... Favas.html

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 am

Last night, we had BLTs as per the recipe Karen posted (which were great). Served them with a salad that consisted of orange segments, strawberries, cucumber, mint, and nothing else.

Tonight, it's pulled pork sandwiches from the cookbook "Damn Good Food".

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Pulled pork sandwiches here too with a twist. Bobby Deen (Paula's son) is redoing momma's recipes to be much healthier. He did a pork tenderloin last week, with a good sounding rub and bbq sauce. No sugar involved, heavy on smoked paprika, ginger and an array of other spices involved. I bought a boneless loin of pork however, used the rub and after an all night stay in the fridge it is browned well, and cooked stove top in a sauce using the bbq sauce, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, ginger, garlic. and a few other ingredients. If I do it right I am slicing it for tonight and serving with more of the sauce. A side dish of roasted eggplant, red bell pepper, red onion, red potaotes, whole garlic, in evoo, turkish oregano, salt and pepper. Coleslaw, too. If I get it right, I will shred the meat tomorrow, add more bbq sauce and serve on talera rolls with the coleslaw, I saved out for this.
I have used pork tenderloin with great success in the past, shredding and using for sandwiches. It is great when you want to cut some calories. We'll see how it comes out with the pork loin.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Robin, that is what our 11 year old granddaughter orders from restaurants, pasta with butter and Parmesan. She just bats her big brown eyes and they happily bring it to her. She is a vegetarian....announced one year ago that she would not eat anything with a face, and she has stuck to it, much to the dismay of this meat eating family, but we respect her wishes! :roll: It sounds delish, but like you I would also do the beans and peas on the side.I have some bucatini to use up, this is where it is going to go. Were the veggies from Mary's garden?
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Made microwave potato chips today. We devoured them.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Made microwave potato chips today. We devoured them.

Molto bene. :D

IIRC, I flip them over partway through the cooking.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:Made microwave potato chips today. We devoured them.

Molto bene. :D

IIRC, I flip them over partway through the cooking.

Thanks for the tip. My first time making them. My wife likes them under cooked so I could take hers out and give mine a flip.

J
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 am

Made Yakisoba for dinner last night. Sometimes you just get it right! :D
Yakisoba (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Beautiful picture, I could taste it!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:22 pm

One-pot Mujadara with green lentils, basmati rice, spring greens (kale and chard), crispy leeks and Lebanese spices. Based on a recent New York Times article and recipe.
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014804/ ... reens.html

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Nice match

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Nice match tonight of a delicious copper river salmon (is it really still the season!) with an olive/green onion/parsley 'tapenade' sauce, soba noodles, and beets and red peppers sauteed and finished with saba. The whole thing went really well with 05 Balthazar Cornas Chaillot (especially with the tapenade and saba touches I added to faciliate the match). The wine was also surprisingly open and full of fruit, compared to the last bottle from several months ago, so it was an interesting moment of a true Cornas going with fish!
PreviousNext