Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Tonight's dinner was pad prik gai bai grapao (Thai stir-fried bird chiles with chicken and basil). Just the thing for the current hot, humid New England weather.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:27 am

After weeks of prepping for our anniversary parties, 16 family members coming and going, for over a week, kids filling up the swimming pool all day long :D , today is our first day alone with no pressing obligations. All I can think about is making a pot of chili, with a bunch of my myriad garden peppers, and adding onions, garlic, and yes beans! It has been so hot that my San Marzano peppers actually cooked on the vine, so will be throwing those in, as well. None of the other peppers cooked, however.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:28 am

Yesterday's dinner for two:
1st course: Mushroom terrine as described in previous post

2nd course: lamb loin in coffee crust with apple and mashed potatoes

1.jpg

Dessert: Strawberry-Joghurt-Mousse with strawberry salad and fresh strawberries

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Heinz Bobek on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:28 am

Heinz Bobek wrote:2nd course: lamb loin in coffee crust with apple and mashed potatoes

Nice touch using the mint(?) leaves on the apple.

Is the sauce just an au jus?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Adobo Chicken with coconut Jasmine rice, and a stir-fry of broccoli, mushrooms and green onions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Heinz, looks incredible as always. Your desserts are so perfect, they almost look like they're made of wax. Amazing.

Here at Chez J, on the stove right now is a pot of pork rib bones simmering with onion, star anise, a few shitake mushrooms and some star anise. The resultant broth will be the soup base for wontons I'll make from the meat removed from the smoked pork ribs. No recipe, just an idea I had for how to use up the leftovers from the 40 lbs I smoked yesterday. Haven't figured out how I'll season the wontons just yet, but since I'm going Asian with this, green onions should be part of it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Beautiful pictures Heinz...lovely flavors going on there.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I have the remains of a batch of merguez sausage that's timing out in the fridge, so tomorrow night I'm going to form them all into kofteh (meatballs), brown them in olive oil, and finish them off in a tomato sauce. Moroccan "spaghetti and meatballs".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Thai-style chicken curry (Gang Gai แกงไก่) with white Asian eggplant, fresh tomato, tofu (pinch-hitting for the chicken), coconut milk, Thai red-curry spices and lots of fresh cilantro.

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I have the remains of a batch of merguez sausage that's timing out in the fridge, so tomorrow night I'm going to form them all into kofteh (meatballs), brown them in olive oil, and finish them off in a tomato sauce. Moroccan "spaghetti and meatballs".

-Paul W.

This was timely. I made merguez on July 4th. Have about half-dozen or so left. Your Moroccan spaghetti is inspired, and will be my dinner tomorrow night. Thanks for that! :)
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Nice touch using the mint(?) leaves on the apple.

The leaves on the apple are lemon balm leaves.

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote: the sauce just an au jus?

The sauce is made of 150 milliliters dark lamb jus, 20 g crushed coffee beans, 40 milliliters dry red wine (see below), 40 milliliters fresh orange juice, 20 milliliters brown rum and 25 g cold butter to thicken the sauce.

We had a 1991 Vino nobile di Montepulciano Reserva il Macchione with the course.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 am

Heinz Bobek wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Nice touch using the mint(?) leaves on the apple.

The leaves on the apple are lemon balm leaves.

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote: the sauce just an au jus?

The sauce is made of 150 milliliters dark lamb jus, 20 g crushed coffee beans, 40 milliliters dry red wine (see below), 40 milliliters fresh orange juice, 20 milliliters brown rum and 25 g cold butter to thicken the sauce.

We had a 1991 Vino nobile di Montepulciano Reserva il Macchione with the course.

Thank you, Heinz. Coffee and orange juice - interesting!

And a nice old wine for it, too. It all sounds excellent.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Tonight we grilled for the first time in weeks because of constant rain. We grilled burgers over charcoal and mesquite chips, and enjoyed them with sliced tomatoes and potato chips.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Multi-dinner grilling here, too: shell steaks, spatchcocked Cornish hens, and hot dogs.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Catching up a little here. Saturday night was chicken breasts stuffed with thin slices of truffled salami, mozzarella, and sauteed chard. They were served with mashed potatoes, a tomato-cucumber salad, and roasted brussels sprouts.

The chicken came out beautifully, but I would have liked it more had I been able to get more of the stuffing into it. I'll have to work on that.....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Tonight it is bone-in grilled pork chops with a nice rub. Green beans sauteed in a bit of butter and evoo, then a little sugar, garlic salt, white pepper, sweet basil and cherry tomatoes are added at the end. Thick tomato slices with Himalayan pink salt and Thai Basil.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thai-style chicken curry (Gang Gai แกงไก่) with white Asian eggplant, fresh tomato, tofu (pinch-hitting for the chicken), coconut milk, Thai red-curry spices and lots of fresh cilantro.

Red-curry spices, so specifically Gang Gai Pet. Looks yummy!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm swimming in leftover ribs. Today's project: repurpose! So I'm imagining a wonton soup made with a smoked pork filling. That is, copying Daniel Boulud's hamburger technique of mixing cooked shortribs into raw beef, I've ripped a bowlful of meat off of some of the bones, braised it a bit further for plusher texture and will mix it with raw ground pork, rice wine, ginger, green onions and a fine dice of waterchestnuts to make a filling. The bones were simmered with yet more ginger and shitake mushroooms to create a flavorful broth.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:14 pm

We had penne in pesto with basil straight from our deck planter, garlicky Italian sausages, and sliced tomatoes. It made for a beautiful plate, sorry no pictures from this technical incompetent guy! We washed it down with a 2010 Knapp, Finger Lakes, Cabernet Franc. Delicious!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 pm

The season's first okra from our garden goes into a medium-dark roux gumbo with Field Roast smoked apple sage "grain meat" sausages, chopped tomatoes, the Cajun "holy trinity" of onions, celery and green peppers, red and yellow peppers, garlic and piquant spice.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm

That dish looks beautiful Robin!

At our house tonight is grilled turkey burgers, with bread crumbs, fresh lemon juice, fresh thyme, lemon zest, a red serrano pepper, on warmed on the grill onion rolls. Toppings will be butter lettuce, a huge sliced tomato from my garden, and carmelized sweet onions. Home made oven fries tossed with evoo, maldon sea salt and chipotle pepper.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm swimming in leftover ribs. Today's project: repurpose! So I'm imagining a wonton soup made with a smoked pork filling. That is, copying Daniel Boulud's hamburger technique of mixing cooked shortribs into raw beef, I've ripped a bowlful of meat off of some of the bones, braised it a bit further for plusher texture and will mix it with raw ground pork, rice wine, ginger, green onions and a fine dice of waterchestnuts to make a filling. The bones were simmered with yet more ginger and shitake mushroooms to create a flavorful broth.

You are so creative. I used to cook like that too, but now, we keep it simpler. I remember one time I had two dishes of my creation going on in the kitchen with three kids running around. There were so many ingredients ready on my prep board. The kids distracted me, and I mixed up the ingredients. I was so upset, what to do...
I said nothing, did my best and it turned out just fine....although I knew and was not to happy about it. Kids and Gene ate it all up.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I said nothing, did my best and it turned out just fine....although I knew and was not to happy about it. Kids and Gene ate it all up.

Funny. Reminds me of my mom's complaint about cooking: it didn't matter what she did or how long she spent on it, the men folk ate it all in 15 minutes anyway.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Nothing too crazy but we're really getting into summer and earlier this week had orecchiette with chanterelles, basil and pecorino romano. Hard to complain. Tonight will be rigatoni with the first fresh tomato sauce of 2013, eggplant, and basil. At least something good comes out of summer heat!
PreviousNext