Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pineapple on Pizza : Tasty or Terrible?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Pineapple on Pizza : Tasty or Terrible?

by Hoke » Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Hoke wrote:And all my lines stop before pineapple.

Well said. Fruit is a funny thing to put on pizza.

One place near my house, otherwise good, does a peach and ricotta pizza. If you can forget that it's pizza, then it's sort of in the fruit-and-cottage-cheese family of food.

Meh.

One exception I make to the fruit on pizza thing is figs and goat cheese and pears, primarily from The Red Grape, a place just off Sonoma Plaza. Definitely not fruit-and-cottage-cheese family. Superb thin crust, just-singed on the bottom, crunchy/chewy, and slightly caramelized flavors of figs and pears mingled with the cheese, makes it a savory delight.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:But, but, but... Pepe's white clam!?!?

I struggle to see why Pepe's is special. Went there again earlier this month after several years of having bad memories from a previous visit. This one was fine, too salty, but overall fine. However when compared with all the other special pizza out there, it is hard to see what makes Pepe's so famous.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 23, 2013 11:01 pm

I have to say, I wish I had more foods I could categorically rule out.

My enthusiasm for nearly every kind of food is both a blessing and a curse.

If some entire area of cuisine disgusted me, I'd weigh about 25 pounds less...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:But, but, but... Pepe's white clam!?!?

I struggle to see why Pepe's is special. Went there again earlier this month after several years of having bad memories from a previous visit. This one was fine, too salty, but overall fine. However when compared with all the other special pizza out there, it is hard to see what makes Pepe's so famous.

When I lived in New Haven, I thought the pizze -- Pepe's, Sally's, and others -- was kinda hit and miss.

My last visit to Pepe's, a couple years ago now, the pie was splendid: crisp and even slightly charred, chewy otherwise, outstanding balance of olive oil, garlic, parsley and clams.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:splendid: crisp and even slightly charred, chewy otherwise, outstanding balance of olive oil, garlic, parsley and clams.

Hmm. The the pizzas all around the restaurant on our visit were way more than 'slightly' charred and 'outstanding balance' was not a word I would use to describe the salty chewy pie we had. Still, they seem to be doing just fine without my fandom, so more power to them.
Previous