Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Par Cel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Par Cel

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Does anyone grow it or use it? I've never seen it in stores, but happened to see an old post of Jenise's where she used it in a dish. I had never heard of it. Actually a wild celery with a parsley like growth. I'd like to try growing it but it may be too hot or too cold here, and if it bolts like cilantro does, it is not an option.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Par Cel

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Karen, never heard it referred to by that name but I have grown leaf celery which I believe is the same thing and it is delicious and very versatile and not at all like cilantro. If you can grow parsley, you can grow this. It does not bolt in hot weather. A definite celery-like taste but not identical in a parsley body. I was introduced to this by a Ukranian friend who uses it all the time in her cooking. She gave me some plants and have not looked for any seed.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:35 am

I can't grow cilantro (it bolts), but last year's par-sel survived the winter as a three foot tall, thick, wide bush of delicious parsley-celery top flavor that I love and use all the time. I have parsley, too, but the par-sel is my favorite for flavor, and its effusive production puts to shame every other herb in my garden (about 5:1 vs. parsley). If you like parsley and also love celery greens, this is your herb. Don't bother if neither appeals.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks, I will look for it. Parsley and celery/leaves are wonderful and I use lots of both.