Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Serendipitous amazingly simple "dinner"...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Serendipitous amazingly simple "dinner"...

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Had to make a short trek to a FedEx store to pick up a package being held for me. No plans for dinner.

On the simple route with no detours I stopped at a fantastic local bread bakery and picked up a Sesame Baguette, next on the route was a farm market for local fresh radishes, then an authentic Italian specialty market for hot-style "gabagool." Picked up my package and headed home with a stop at the local market for a small wedge of decent Brie and a bottle of inexpensive but good Chard. Had some Gherkins in the fridge.

Such a wonderful meal and no cooking!

Oh! And you know the French appetizer thing with radishes, butter and salt? Forget the butter. Brie all the way!

Any quick and simple combos that do it for you?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Serendipitous amazingly simple "dinner"...

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 am

If I can get good, fresh, black figs then it's figs, prosciutto, and lime.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:11 am

Picked up La Panzanella garlic crackers last week (love those things) a triple cream brie, and a fig and orange spread. Yum! I've been enjoying two for lunch with a salad of fresh garden tomatoes and baby cukes.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Right now, it's mozz, tomatoes, and a little basil oil or balsamic, either on or off of good bread.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Still waiting for the "good" tomatoes here. :(
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Picked up La Panzanella garlic crackers last week (love those things) a triple cream brie, and a fig and orange spread. Yum! I've been enjoying two for lunch with a salad of fresh garden tomatoes and baby cukes.

The rosemary ones are our absolute favorite. Everyone we serve them to asks what they are and where we got them!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 am

Carrie L. wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Picked up La Panzanella garlic crackers last week (love those things) a triple cream brie, and a fig and orange spread. Yum! I've been enjoying two for lunch with a salad of fresh garden tomatoes and baby cukes.

The rosemary ones are our absolute favorite. Everyone we serve them to asks what they are and where we got them!

Thanks Carrie, I have tried the garlic and the original. Garlic was OK, went well with warmed brie and a fig jam. I've seen the rosemary. I love that they came out with the crackers. They are good looking too, really different shape and fit so well with cheese slices. The big flat cracker type is difficult to crack into proper sizes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Carrie L. wrote:

And I favor the fennel ones. They are, however, the hardest to find. Don't know if they sell out quickly, or the stores don't think anyone likes fennel so they don't order them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov