Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ramsi's Cafe on the World's mjadra: 1001 Arabian lentils

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm

I ran across this recipe from Ramsi's Cafe on the World in an article by Ron Mikulak in The Louisville Courier-Journal today. Having all the ingredients on hand, I couldn't wait to whomp up a batch of it. It worked out well, although I reduced the recipe (purportedly for four) to one-third of its original proportions and still got more than enough as a meatless main course for two.

Here's the ingredient list reduced for two:

1/3 cup green puy lentils (original called for brown lentils)
1/2 cup basmati rice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt

1. Check lentils for stones and foreign material, then rinse; simmer uncovered in about 2 cups water until tender but firm. Drain, reserving soaking water.

2. While the lentils are simmering, rinse the rice thoroughly, then soak it in abundant water for 20-30 minutes. Drain.

3. Bring 1 cup water plus the lentil liquid - which should be about 1/4 to 1/2 cup - to a boil in a saucepan. Put in the drained lentils, drained rice and seasonings. Mix well, bring to a simmer, cover tightly and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is just done. The liquid should be fully absorbed.

4. Remove from heat and check seasonings. Cover the pot with a dish towel and put the lid back on and allow it to sit for five minutes; then fluff with a fork and serve with a simple green salad.

Here's a link to Ron's original recipe, "Cook's Corner | Ramsi's Cafe shares two vegetarian favorites."
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 3309170094
Except for reducing the size, I didn't tinker with it much.