Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Friday Fun: A kitchen appliance that vastly overperformed?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Friday Fun: A kitchen appliance that vastly overperformed?

by wnissen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 am

OK, this should be an easy one. I would say our rice cooker/steamer. It was Yan Can Cook brand, from a local Bay Area Chinese chef with a public TV cooking show. i figured it was good for six months, tops. We've been using it to steam broccoli on a weekly basis for a decade now. It even makes decent rice, at least for a simple non-fuzzy-logic cooker that cost next to nothing. I'm sad to get rid of it, but the nonstick coating is finally starting to wear off and I don't care to ingest teflon.

It looks like this one, but it's a 9 cup model: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedmills/458243651/

So what's your kitchen gadget that punches way above its weight?
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Friday Fun: A kitchen appliance that vastly overperformed?

by Fred Sipe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:06 am

juicer.jpg

:) First thing every morning the juice of half a lemon goes into a glass of spring water then into me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:45 am

Hmm ... probably a cheap stick blender that I got at Walgreen's. I use it a lot, and it must be 10 years old.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:52 pm

A very old chrome mixmaster that my mom used when I was a kid. I has to be around 70 years old. I remember her using it every Christmas to make Tom and Jerry batter. That poor thing would lug along mixing up that batter until it was thick and delicious. It came to live with us after mom died, and I used it for everything even making Tom and Jerry batter. Then came the day, it just started to feel tired, and I wanted a newer make with more power. So, it resides in the garage now because the boys in the family don't want me to get rid of it, yet neither of them will take it home. :roll:
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Can I mention one that completely UNDERperformed? It's not really an appliance, either, but a gadget... We didn't have a can opener here in Maine, so I just picked up a decent looking one, brand: GoodCooks at the grocery store. I think it was about $8.00 and it worked to open exactly two cans. After that, the crank refused to turn. Kinda makes me mad.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)