Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchenaid K5-A update

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Kitchenaid K5-A update

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:25 am

It's been a frustrating few days trying to find a place to repair my K5-A. The bottom line is: you can't. They were made by Hobart and there are no parts, etc. anywhere.

An interesting conversation ensued, though, when I called Kitchenaid's customer support.

I started by saying that I knew Kitchenaid did not repair K5-A's, but I would appreciate them referring me to an independent repair center.

"What is the serial number on your mixer?" was their first question.

"I have no idea. I'm at my office, and besides you don't fix K5-A's, anyway. I just want the name of a service center."

"What state are you in?"

"New Mexico."

"There are no repair centers in New Mexico."

"I know that. That's why I'm calling you. Are there are any service centers anywhere in the United States or Canada?"

"What state do you want?"

"I don't care. FedEx ships to any state."

"What are some states near you?"

"There's Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Oklahoma." (Obviously unfamiliar with geography.)

I called the service center in Texas, got a similar, parallel universe response, but finally did glean that repair for the K5-A doesn't exist.

I then called Hobart, but no dice.

So, my choice is buying a new one (now made by Whirlpool, not Hobart) or perhaps buying a used one on ebay. If you know anyone who has a working K5-A for sale, let me know. :(

I seem to attract parallel universe conversations--I really should start carrying a tape recorder. I bought some groceries today and had an unusual exchange with the cashier.

The deal was 8 giant boxes of cereal (Cheerios, etc.) for $10. Watta deal! I also had a dollar-off coupon in my hand. An even better deal! I put all the groceries on the belt with my knife (my key-ring that holds my frequent shopper card). Suddenly I couldn't find my coupon.

I told the cashier I didn't know what happened to my coupon. He said that he found it on the box of cereal and handed me my knife. After everything was rung up, I asked him again if he had really found my coupon. Yes, he assured me. Then I opened my checkbook and there was the coupon. I held up my knife and explained to him the difference between a knife and a coupon. Sheesh.

I think I'll sit in a corner and suck my thumb; it's been a weird day.
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

Re: Kitchenaid K5-A update

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:10 pm

Larry

The folks at Kitchenaid are really helpful. Call them back with the serial number, and ask them what to do to get it fixed. They replaced Yvonne's mixer after she'd had and used it for 8 years--free of charge. I broke my kitchenaid food processor lid (totally my fault), and they sent me a new lid, again, free of charge. Customer service is their thing, so call them back and give them a chance.

Alternately, I can go to the kitchenaid retail outlet at their store when I get some time (it'll be a few weeks, as I'm traveling for work again next week) and look for a refurbished mixer for you. I'm not sure what a K5-A is, but I'll be glad to see if they have one.
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:32 pm

Larry, re the coupon: don't you think the guy was just being kind?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:50 am

Well, he didn't subtract $1.00 until I found the coupon.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:19 am

Niki (Dayton OH) wrote:Larry

The folks at Kitchenaid are really helpful. Call them back with the serial number, and ask them what to do to get it fixed. They replaced Yvonne's mixer after she'd had and used it for 8 years--free of charge. I broke my kitchenaid food processor lid (totally my fault), and they sent me a new lid, again, free of charge. Customer service is their thing, so call them back and give them a chance.

Alternately, I can go to the kitchenaid retail outlet at their store when I get some time (it'll be a few weeks, as I'm traveling for work again next week) and look for a refurbished mixer for you. I'm not sure what a K5-A is, but I'll be glad to see if they have one.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I called Kitchenaid twice. They absolutely do not repair a 1973 K5-A, which was made by Hobart (Kitchenaid is now owned by Whirlpool). The first time they said if I sent it to them, they would not only not repair it, but they would cut off the power cord and render it useless. Kitchenaid message boards also have several customers lamenting the fact that K5-As are not supported.

The independent repair shop also said unequivocally that there are no parts available and I can't get it repaired.

In the meantime, my cousin has lent me her spare mixer. I'd be interested if you find one at the refurbish store, otherwise I might buy one on ebay.

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:04 pm

Larry, I did see a K5-A on E-Bay. However, while browsing I also found the Hobart N-50 (link), which looks similar.

EDIT - since posting this I checked the price - about $1,500 :shock:
Last edited by Howie Hart on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Well, he didn't subtract $1.00 until I found the coupon.

Oh okay, I didn't get that part. I thought he'd just given you the discount even though you couldn't find the coupon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Same problem here. I have two K5A 's. Had three but one died. Up to ten years ago there was a small repair shop here which repaired them more than once for me (mine got a *lot* of use.) Gone now.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:46 am

Howie Hart wrote:Larry, I did see a K5-A on E-Bay. However, while browsing I also found the Hobart N-50 (link), which looks similar.

EDIT - since posting this I checked the price - about $1,500 :shock:

It looks great, but when I saw the price on epinions.com, I almost had a heart attack. It would make me a great Xmas gift, though (hint, hint).
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:40 am

Larry Greenly wrote:It would make me a great Xmas gift, though (hint, hint).
Sorry, my gift limit is $1,200. :lol:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:32 am

My wife--bless her heart--has volunteered to throw in an additional $300. What color do you suggest?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:17 am

Larry Greenly wrote:My wife--bless her heart--has volunteered to throw in an additional $300. What color do you suggest?

Desert camauflage? It's a popular color in my household these days. :wink:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:54 am

I spied a fabulous ad in the newspaper Friday night and zoomed up to the dept store that was selling the Whirlpool equivalent of my departed K5! (RIP) for for $219 (reg. $369). Then, by applying for the dept store credit card and using it, I received an additional 30% discount, which brought the price down to $169. Woo hoo!

I would still rather have my old K5A, but at least the price of the new one crossed a limit that made buying a new one more palatable.

One amusing note: After applying for the card, the clerk brought up my name on her computer screen. I could tell something was a bit wrong (which is typical for me). She asked me if my first name was DC.

No, I'm a Doctor of Chiropractic and those are initials after my name, just like MD or DDS, I said.

Just call me DC Larry W. Greenly. Jeesh.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:23 am

From your initial perusal, would you say the Whirlpool version is similar to the old KA?
Those things were made like tanks.......
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:29 pm

I'm dubious. I've read about the new versions on various discussion groups and they seem to agree that the new ones aren't as tough. I saw talk about plastic parts inside. I haven't used the new one yet, but after Xmas I'll give a report.

The one that my cousin lent me as a backup (a Whirlpool version with a bunch of use) seems kinda loose, with a bouncy motor and a rattling bowl.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:26 am

I finally got my new KitchenAid mixer out of the box and used it. It did what it was supposed to, but my new one (made by Whirlpool) sure sounds tinny when it runs, not like my old one (made by Hobart), which sounded like a well-oiled sewing machine.

I'm hoping the gears will break in and eventually sound better. I was using my cousin's Whirlpool KitchenAid mixer, which sounds even worse--like there's a bad bearing (there isn't; she even called Whirlpool and had them listen to the sound over the phone--they said it was normal). There's something to be said about the perception of quality, which is why shutting a Mercedes door sounds better than a Yugo.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:52 am

Larry, is this the professional model or what they call the Artisan?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:14 pm

It's the K5SS--the equivalent to my old K5A, which looks like the image above in this thread (325W, 5 qt. capacity). I believe the Artisan is the lesser-priced one that tips back, but mine has a lever to elevate the bowl. I wasn't about to spend twice as much on their larger, "professional," model, though.
no avatar
User

Jessica Sims

Rank

Just got here

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:23 am

by Jessica Sims » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:38 am

It's been awhile since anyone has commented on your particular problem, but maybe I can help. I have a K5-A mixer, and I love it. I have also used the new Kitchenaid mixers, and they are definitely not the same thing. (hey, lots of companies have bought names of good products and turned them into junk) There is nothing quite like the old Hobart stuff.
Anyway, if you are still looking to refurbish your K5-A, take a look at atomic-era-machine.com. They refurbish these machines for a pretty reasonable price. I have not tried their services, but I have seen lots of positive reviews. Someday, I will send my mixer in, but for now, it still works great.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:05 pm

I opted for the Professional 6 a couple of years ago. I had the 5 you desrcibe and found it couldn't handle pizza dough well enough. The mixer would move across the countertop as it worked the dough.

The 575 watt motor of the 6 really outdid the 450 of the 5.

If you don't do dough it probably doesn't matter.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:27 pm

I do lots of dough, but nothing over 7 cups or so. And I'll have to look into the Atomic-Era repair place.