Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

what to eat with Château Peymartin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anne-Marie Simard

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:35 pm

what to eat with Château Peymartin

by Anne-Marie Simard » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi everyone!

My cousin brought me a bottle of Chateau Peymartin 2000, a Saint-Julien (Borde!aux). Is it a very good wine? What are its main caracteristics? I would also like to invite my cousin and his wife for dinner and serve them the wine with a dish that would be very appropriate.

Any suggestions???

Thanks
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: what to eat with Château Peymartin

by Bob Henrick » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:12 pm

Hello Anne-Marie. First let me admit that I have not had the wine of which you speak. I do know though, that this is the 2nd wine of Ch. Gloria, which is a well thought of, if not a top class producer in St. Julien. The properties where the grapes are grown are varied and sundry in location, however they are all well situated. I would not think the wine would sell (in the USA) for much more than $15-20, but knowing that the 2000 vintage was a very good vintage I would not hesitate to say that the wine would fare well at a dinner where beef or lamb is the main attraction.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:28 pm

2000 was a great vintage. I would probably go this way on the menu:

Roast leg of lamb with Rosemary and Garlic

Sauce of red wine and pan dripping reduction

Truffled Mashed Potatoes (I keep some black truffle salt around for this) or just boiled potatoes with butter and parsely

Haricots Verts steamed and buttered

I have never had this wine but I haven't had a stinker from the 2000 vintage either.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:40 pm

Anne-Marie, you've received good advice. Peymartin is the second label (the best grapes go into the first label) of a good St. Julien producer. The wine is probably mostly cabernet for flavor and structure with some merlot for enhanced aroma and softness. The vintage produced very ripe wines, the type that show well early, and this type of wine shows particularly well with hearty stews and roasted red meats. You can't go wrong with any good dish in your repertoire involving beef or lamb. It would be almost impossible to offend this wine, except with sugar as it's a very dry wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Anne-Marie Simard

Rank

Cellar rat

by Anne-Marie Simard » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Dear wine guru,

thank you for answering my question. Mmmmm... Everybody seems to recommand beef or lamb.

That wine is not distributed in Quebec so it was harder for me to get a reference...

Do you think we should drink this wine now or wait a couple of years??
no avatar
User

Anne-Marie Simard

Rank

Cellar rat

by Anne-Marie Simard » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks for the menu.

the lamb with garlic and rosemary: I can smell it already!

I will try that and come back to you
no avatar
User

Anne-Marie Simard

Rank

Cellar rat

by Anne-Marie Simard » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:47 pm

Thank you Jenise for this very detailed answer!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:10 pm

Anne-Marie Simard wrote:Dear wine guru,

thank you for answering my question. Mmmmm... Everybody seems to recommand beef or lamb.

That wine is not distributed in Quebec so it was harder for me to get a reference...

Do you think we should drink this wine now or wait a couple of years??

My reccomendation is drink it now. Too early is better than too late. But what you might do is open it in the morning of the day you plan to serve it. Take a wee taste. If it tastes wonderful, put the cork back in and wait for dinner. If it's a little tight in the taste--that is, the smell is big but the taste is small, pour about an ounce in a 'decoy' glass. The wine in the bottle, with the newly enlarged surface area exposed to air will oxygenate throughout the day. Meanwhile, come back and taste the decoy from time to time. That will tell you how the wine in the bottle's doing, which is fun. If at any point you think the wine's already perfect (not too tannic, shows lots of fruit), throw the cork back in: it's ready for dinner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov