Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bread Machine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Bread Machine?

by Jenise » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:To turn serious for a moment, if the plan is to bake the bread in the oven anyway, what advantage does a bread machine offer over a Mixmaster equipped with a dough hook? Just askin'

Mark Lipton

Since I know Sue and that Bill's the real cook in that family, I'm guessing that the attraction is that it affords a kind of a set-it-and-forget-it procedure, since the machine mixes, kneads and proofs--all on a timer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 am

Howie Hart wrote:...it does allow one to make an ugly shaped, but tasty fresh loaf for Tuesday night's dinner.

Does the shape really matter? I eat bread from loaves of many shapes and sizes already.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 am

Jenise wrote:I'm guessing that the attraction is that it affords a kind of a set-it-and-forget-it procedure, since the machine mixes, kneads and proofs--all on a timer.

Exactly - she would be much less likely to repeat making bread if the demands on time were greater than the machine allows.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:To turn serious for a moment, if the plan is to bake the bread in the oven anyway, what advantage does a bread machine offer over a Mixmaster equipped with a dough hook? Just askin'

Mark Lipton

Since I know Sue and that Bill's the real cook in that family, I'm guessing that the attraction is that it affords a kind of a set-it-and-forget-it procedure, since the machine mixes, kneads and proofs--all on a timer.

Got it. Since I'm a baker (when I have the time), I don't really sweat the "set the timer and check the rise" mindset, but I can see how someone less interested in the process to have issues with that degree of involvement.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:57 pm

So the machine arrived (and it is fairly large). Washed it, filled it, turned it on and it worked - for about 20 minutes after which it went to that big bread basket in the sky. We'll have a replacement in about 3 weeks. I grabbed the dough and baked it, guessing at temp and time and it turned out pretty weel, so the distaff side isn't unhappy.

Finishing with a bread joke to top off Jenise's and my pun-ishment.

Please join me in remembering a great icon of the entertainment community. The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and trauma complications from being repeatedly poked in the belly. He was 71.

Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch. The grave site was piled high with flours.

Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he was kneaded. Born and bread in Minnesota, Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered a very smart cookie, wasting much of his dough on half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at times, he lived to be a crusty old man and was considered a positive roll model for millions.

Doughboy is survived by his wife Play Dough, three children: John Dough, Jane Dough and Dosey Dough, plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly father, Pop Tart.

The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes.
Previous