Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Posts

1031

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:37 pm

Re: I hate my oven, Part III

by Christina Georgina » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:03 am

When planning the kitchen in our new house the single most important feature of the oven was that it have a rotisserie and for that reason I only considered Miele and Gaggenau. I have been very happy with the Miele's many options from regular to convection bake; regular roast and auto roast that first sears at a high temp and then cools down to roasting temp; surround bake which uses top and bottom elements and intensive bake that uses only bottom and circulates the air for a brick oven effect. It has proofing and defrost settings and two rotisserie spits. One of the features I quickly got used to is the delayed start and programming features for the temperature probe to turn off at the desired temp. I know you don't like digital Jenise and I thought I would not but this oven has been a pleasure to use. I also have a Miele diswasher and warming drawer, no complaints. A friend got a Gaggenau for its rotisserie feature and is disappointed because it is so well sealed and vented that she never smells what is cooking in the oven ! Hope your repair takes care of the problem
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26670

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I hate my oven, Part III

by Jenise » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:33 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:When planning the kitchen in our new house the single most important feature of the oven was that it have a rotisserie and for that reason I only considered Miele and Gaggenau. I have been very happy with the Miele's many options from regular to convection bake; regular roast and auto roast that first sears at a high temp and then cools down to roasting temp; surround bake which uses top and bottom elements and intensive bake that uses only bottom and circulates the air for a brick oven effect. It has proofing and defrost settings and two rotisserie spits. One of the features I quickly got used to is the delayed start and programming features for the temperature probe to turn off at the desired temp. I know you don't like digital Jenise and I thought I would not but this oven has been a pleasure to use. I also have a Miele diswasher and warming drawer, no complaints. A friend got a Gaggenau for its rotisserie feature and is disappointed because it is so well sealed and vented that she never smells what is cooking in the oven ! Hope your repair takes care of the problem


Christina, with all those options on digital, I might learn to like it. What I didn't like was my Viking digital oven that required me to press/presss/press/press/press to get the temperature up or down to where I wanted it, instead of being able to move an analog dial in one twist of the wrist or even punch in three numbers. I really didn't do enough background checking to make sure I wanted to go with Viking again. One place to check would have been the service department--in the past, for other kinds of purchases, I've actually talked to service departments to find out what they see too many of, and what they think well of. The man who was here yesterday could have a nice little side career giving out advice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26670

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I hate my oven, Part III

by Jenise » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Got the estimate...
$389 to replace the thermostat in the large oven and the part that selects "cubes" or "crushed ice" on the freezer door. We're going for it.


That's not bad! I was expecting worse. Did they price the thermostat separately or was it all one big number?

I'm scheduled for service next Monday. Had to wait to get this Russian guy who has been promoted to service department foreman--he'll still make house calls when requested but only a few each week. He's a 'stove whisperer' compared to the rest.


I'm not sure as I was not home when he called, so he spoke with Len. It wasn't as bad as I thought either, especially when he had said during his visit that they are "expensive to replace." That's great you get to request someone you have confidence in. Unfortunately, I think these guys are a dying breed...


Here's my estimate:

About $450. $270 for the thermostat, $60 for the two hinges, and the rest service (including yesterday's visit).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Posts

4042

Joined

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Location

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: I hate my oven, Part III

by Carl Eppig » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Our guys is coming from the other side of the state for $149.95 for first half hour and trip, and $25 for each half hour thereafter; plus cost of parts.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26670

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I hate my oven, Part III

by Jenise » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Our guys is coming from the other side of the state for $149.95 for first half hour and trip, and $25 for each half hour thereafter; plus cost of parts.


So the $120 I'm going to pay for all labor is a deal--I think so, especially when I get the shop foreman. He was here for just over an hour the other day, and offered while here to listen to any other appliance gripes I had. (I'm a 30 minute drive out of town for them--which, to hear some Bham servicers bitch, might as well be the other side of the state. )

Hope yours doesn't have to make two trips!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

3964

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Location

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: I hate my oven, Part III

by Redwinger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:24 pm

Jenise wrote:
Carl Eppig wrote:Our guys is coming from the other side of the state for $149.95 for first half hour and trip, and $25 for each half hour thereafter; plus cost of parts.


So the $120 I'm going to pay for all labor is a deal--I think so, especially when I get the shop foreman. He was here for just over an hour the other day, and offered while here to listen to any other appliance gripes I had. (I'm a 30 minute drive out of town for them--which, to hear some Bham servicers bitch, might as well be the other side of the state. )

Hope yours doesn't have to make two trips!


Don't worry, Jenise. In New Hampshire the other side of the state is only 10 miles or so. :)
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Posts

4042

Joined

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Location

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: I hate my oven, Part III

by Carl Eppig » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Redwinger wrote:Don't worry, Jenise. In New Hampshire the other side of the state is only 10 miles or so. :)


Or so is 56 miles from Danbury, NH to Middleton, NH.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jenise, Mike Filigenzi and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign