Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Asparagus risotto offers a preview of spring

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 am

You may have noticed that risotto is a fairly frequent player in the ever changing cast of characters on our dinner table. I love risotto for lots of reasons: It's nutritious and filling, a great way to use up leftovers, and made well, it's a dish of some refinement.

Risotto suffers a bad rap as a dish that requires constant attention, and indeed it does require fairly regular stirring. But "constant" stirring is a bit of an overstatement. Keep an eye on it, put on some good music when you cook, and get into the zone. Fifteen minutes of prep time, 25 minutes of cooking time, and dinner is on.

Like many of my generation, I didn't grow up with risotto. My idea of Italian cuisine was formed by the Southern Italian immigrant tradition of family cooking, aromatic red-sauced pasta dishes and pizza. But it didn't take me long to learn about risotto, and for me, this dish was love at first sight.

I probably discovered it in the late 1970s, in Marcella Hazan's formative cookbooks, or perhaps from Margaret and Franco Romagnoli on public television, but I know for sure that I was making risotto before any Louisville restaurants were serving it. It was a joy to taste the real thing on a trip to Rome, Umbria and Tuscany in 1982, and in Genoa the year after. Since those days, I've probably made risotto 1,000 times - maybe more - and tasted it all over Northern Italy and at restaurants in the U.S. It never bores me, and I'll less than modestly declare that after all that practice I can make risotto about as well as any American or Italian chef I've encountered. Iron Chef Risotto, anyone?

Last night's dish was a simple version made with fresh asparagus, browned onions and garlic, finished with Grana Padano cheese and, alla Marcella, a chunk of Parma butter. To intensify the asparagus flavor, I broke off the woody ends of the stalks, simmered them in lightly salted water for about 10 minutes to make a simple broth; discarded the stems, used the same water to parboil the asparagus stalks (cut in 1-inch lengths) to crisp-tender, then used this double broth as the risotto liquid. I added in the asparagus, a little at a time, as the risotto cooked, to achieve a range of textures from some long-simmered bits to a few still al-dente ones.

I used 1/2 cup of arborio rice, hoping to have a little left over, but it was too good not to finish; a reasonable ration for two.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Asparagus risotto offers a preview of spring

by Carl Eppig » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Spring? What's spring? All we can see outside is white!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Love asparagus risotto! I add one step to the ones you take, actually pureeing a few piece of the asparagus (plus a small handful of green peas, for complexity) for a greener broth. The color just makes me happy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Love asparagus risotto! I add one step to the ones you take, actually pureeing a few piece of the asparagus (plus a small handful of green peas, for complexity) for a greener broth. The color just makes me happy.

St Paddy's day is less than a month away! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 pm

This is my favorite way to make risotto with asparagus... plus it has leeks.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/KarenCalanchini/LemonRisotto.htm
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Karen, reading your recipe brought back a powerful memory I didn't know I remembered--the first risotto I made was based on lemon and leeks. I don't recall that I put any other vegetables in, though I might have, nor do I recall where I got the recipe. I know I had never eaten sautéed leeks or mascarpone before, so the way the two melted so sublimely into my dish was a real eye-opener. I remember sitting there with a bowl held under my nose, taking in the aromas and eating the dish about three grains of rice at a time--I wanted that experience to last forever.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov