Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tech makes tipping easy...or does it.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Tech makes tipping easy...or does it.

by Redwinger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:20 am

I'm pretty sure I'm not too fond of this approach to tip extraction. Sure, it is great for the employee and the POS which charges a % of the bill, but I'm perfectly capable of determining when and how much to tip without going through several extra clicks to avoid some formula driven approach. It comes across as manipulative to me.

http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/artic ... 271447.php
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Tech makes tipping easy...or does it.

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:40 am

I'm all the way with you, 'winger. If someone tried to force me to tip, I'm all for the "no tip" button no matter how many clicks it is.

Tipping at 15% (or thereabouts) is for table service. I was taught to give 10% for counter service and nothing for just handing it over through the window. Jeez.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Assuming I had some cash with me, I'd be likely to hit the "No tip" button and then leave a buck or whatever on the counter.

This is particularly odious with food trucks. I have never gotten along with the idea of leaving tips in cases where there is no table service. I'm certainly not going to leave 15% - that's ridiculous given that they're just cooking the stuff and handing it to you.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 pm

The article mentioned that this is in use at a food truck. Unless I'm misunderstanding what's meant by "food truck", I'd consider this an over-the-counter food purchase. I don't tip when I buy a cake or donuts at a bakery. I don't tip at McDonalds. Why should I tip at a food truck?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The article mentioned that this is in use at a food truck. Unless I'm misunderstanding what's meant by "food truck", I'd consider this an over-the-counter food purchase. I don't tip when I buy a cake or donuts at a bakery. I don't tip at McDonalds. Why should I tip at a food truck?

-Paul W.

Exactly.

Once in a while, the trucks here will set up in an area where they'll put out some small tables and chairs. If I were going to eat at one of those tables, then I'd tip some fairly minimal amount. Otherwise, no.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I don't tip when I buy a cake or donuts at a bakery. I don't tip at McDonalds. Why should I tip at a food truck?

Because you are generous in spirit? Or maybe because you support your vibrant, local, independent restaurant business at all its levels, recognize that you are reaping the benefits of a business that operates on razor-thin margins, and that you're very likely receiving your food from the hands of the business owner and probably the chef?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Sorry, Robin, I'm not buying any of that. It is the convention in the USA to directly pay the waitstaff 15+% of the bill for the service that they provide. But a food truck has no waitstaff. IMO, over the decades this whole tipping process has gotten way out of hand. I much prefer the convention in place in France and Australia, where the waitstaff are paid a full wage and no tipping is expected. In that system, tipping has its proper, original intended purpose--to reward exceptional service.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Sorry, Robin, I'm not buying any of that.

Certainly your prerogative, Paul. :roll: