Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The terrorists are winning

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The terrorists are winning

by Jenise » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Went to the store for pita bread today that I needed to tear and bake crisp for some garlic chips for tonight's neighborhood wine tasting. All they had? Little plastic trays each containing 6 halves, already cut for the American housewive's convenience because damn wasn't that a lot of trouble to do it yourself. Oh, and they're absolutely tasteless except for a slight sweetness that absolutely should not be there, and the texture sucks too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: The terrorists are winning

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Finding good pita can be a real PITA.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:01 pm

We have an excellent local source for pita bread - Father Sam's, who happens to be an Episcopal priest. http://www.fathersams.com/
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:00 am

I feel your pain and my sentiments exactly ! I have just stopped buying any type of bread product commercially because they are ALL sweet, have bad, tasteless flours and have enough "enhancers" and additives to prevent mold till eternity. Absolutely disgusting. There is only one bakery, about 50 miles from me that has acceptable product.
Pita is quite easy to make. Just requires some advance planning. Several years ago I embarked on a flatbread making spree and have not gone back to buying anything from a store since
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:32 am

Jenise wrote:Little plastic trays each containing 6 halves, already cut for the American housewive's convenience because damn wasn't that a lot of trouble to do it yourself.

At the risk of hijacking your thread, I always have the same reaction when I stroll past the pre-sliced mushrooms at the local grocer. Or the pre-cooked hard boiled eggs. <shrug and giggle>
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Redwinger wrote:At the risk of hijacking your thread, I always have the same reaction when I stroll past the pre-sliced mushrooms at the local grocer. Or the pre-cooked hard boiled eggs. <shrug and giggle>

Little jars of shivering, naked pre-peeled garlic.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:05 pm

I never did understand the fuss over pita bread.... I don't make bread anymore because we have two locally owned bakeries in town who make wonderful bread with simple, fresh and real food ingredients. Not even a preservative anywhere. They do not make pita, however. I just don't use it. Would a good naan bread work?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Redwinger wrote:At the risk of hijacking your thread, I always have the same reaction when I stroll past the pre-sliced mushrooms at the local grocer. Or the pre-cooked hard boiled eggs. <shrug and giggle>

Little jars of shivering, naked pre-peeled garlic.

True, but ginger garlic paste from the Indian grocery is an absolute necessity.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Jenise wrote:Went to the store for pita bread today that I needed to tear and bake crisp for some garlic chips for tonight's neighborhood wine tasting. All they had? Little plastic trays each containing 6 halves, already cut for the American housewive's convenience because damn wasn't that a lot of trouble to do it yourself. Oh, and they're absolutely tasteless except for a slight sweetness that absolutely should not be there, and the texture sucks too.

Thank goodness we have several small and one large market in our surrounding neighborhood where I can get good pita, naan, and other Middle Eastern breads. Don't you just hate that everything made for the American palate requires a spoonful of sugar and a reduction of anything considered "spicy"? We have relatives who just moved here from out of state and they have joined my family dinners on Sundays. The kids are absolutely startled at the intensity of flavors. The boy (a 16 year old) said he comes just for the salads (which he never before ate) and the desserts (many of which he had never tried or heard of)! :shock:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:13 pm

The kids are absolutely startled at the intensity of flavors. The boy (a 16 year old) said he comes just for the salads (which he never before ate) and the desserts (many of which he had never tried or heard of)!

I don't get why parents these days cater so much to the tastes, or lack of, of their kids. In my day, moms cooked and kids ate. There was never any question in our home about what they ate, with the exception of our daughter who was allergic to tree nuts and avocados. I don't recall any issues, like the kids today have. We have a grandson who when very young and when exposed to real, grated Parmesan announced he wanted the stuff in the green can. Our son, (who knew better) asked me if I had any. :shock: When served home made apple sauce, he wanted the stuff in the can. I told him that I had picked apples off of a tree, and made the apple sauce from those apples. No way, he did not believe me. Stuff like that drive me nuts. Good for you, for getting the kids exposed to good cooking. Luckily, our grandson grew out of his issues with food, and eats most things now....he is 16 and eats everything I serve him. Then when he goes home and asks his dad to make what I did!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:27 pm

I know. Aren't you surprised that they are surprised. Makes me wonder how many in our age group still "cook"? The thing that surprises the kids the most is that salad dressing doesn't come out of a bottle and that all cakes don't come out of a box. It was my brother's (their grand-dad's) birthday a week ago and they were a little perplexed about his request for a homemade carrot cake. So, they asked me if I knew how to make one! :evil: I made his two daughters come to the house and make the recipe with my instruction (3-layers with chopped pecans in the middle layer and roasted whole pecans on top). I frosted and decorated it. One of his girls called me the next day and said she had never cooked anything "good" before and thanked me for the experience. So sad, but I couldn't stop laughing. :roll:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Fortunately, just after we moved into an eclectic little Portland neighborhood this summer, and new place called Mezza opened up a few blocks away.

Lebanese owners, from Beirut. And they make their breads daily, most baked to order.

So we get sfiha, zaatar, shatta, fatayer...all that stuff. And fresh, soft, chewy pita whenever---totally unlike those flat cardboardy tasteless things people think are pita. Comes with all the main courses, and you can order as well.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:58 pm

I live near the Damascus Bakery so fresh pita are not a problem.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:59 am

Whole, uncut pita at my grocery store in white and whole wheat. There was sugar in the ingredient list for the white, but not the wheat.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: Thank goodness we have several small and one large market in our surrounding neighborhood where I can get good pita, naan, and other Middle Eastern breads. Don't you just hate that everything made for the American palate requires a spoonful of sugar and a reduction of anything considered "spicy"? We have relatives who just moved here from out of state and they have joined my family dinners on Sundays. The kids are absolutely startled at the intensity of flavors. The boy (a 16 year old) said he comes just for the salads (which he never before ate) and the desserts (many of which he had never tried or heard of)! :shock:

You are indeed a lucky woman. Seattle's so wonderful; everything seems to be there, you just have to know where to look. Not quite so up here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I live near the Damascus Bakery so fresh pita are not a problem.

Al Watan bakery or Biban bakery here, or several Iranian places for the similar only different kavash; but the same general principle applies.