Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dried mushroom cookies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Dried mushroom cookies

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Has anyone ever had Chinese dried mushroom cookies? I've seen them during my recent visits to the Asian supermarket near our house, and I was intrigued. The box didn't give away any indication of what I would find inside, but the ingredient list was rather short so I decided to give them a try.

I was imagining something along the lines of a savory biscuit with mushroom flavor. However, much to my surprise, when I opened the box they were literally dried mushrooms. Mushrooms that had been dried and baked (or something like that) until they became like crunchy cookies, and then flavored with some wasabi/mustard powder. Interesting stuff, although at least this brand/version didn't inspire rapture and we haven't been moved to finish them yet.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Dried mushroom cookies

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:39 am

Rahsaan wrote:Has anyone ever had Chinese dried mushroom cookies? I've seen them during my recent visits to the Asian supermarket near our house, and I was intrigued. The box didn't give away any indication of what I would find inside, but the ingredient list was rather short so I decided to give them a try.

I was imagining something along the lines of a savory biscuit with mushroom flavor. However, much to my surprise, when I opened the box they were literally dried mushrooms. Mushrooms that had been dried and baked (or something like that) until they became like crunchy cookies, and then flavored with some wasabi/mustard powder. Interesting stuff, although at least this brand/version didn't inspire rapture and we haven't been moved to finish them yet.

Haven't had these before. They're the type of thing I'd see at the Asian market and figure that I'll wait until I hear more about them before trying them. I might be willing to give the mushroom cookies a shot now that I know what to expect.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:25 am

Never heard of them! Interesting. What's the country of origin--are they Japanese?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Jenise wrote:Never heard of them! Interesting. What's the country of origin--are they Japanese?

The ones I bought are from Taiwan.

This is the brand: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZyY3k8jQd8U/T-bJYOPHE3I/AAAAAAAAEz8/UVLB0AqlhVo/s1600/rsz_img_8510.jpg

I tried to upload a photo of the actual cookies but it may have been too large. But they're pretty funny looking. They are literally dried mushrooms, but in crisp full cookie form, not withered like the dried mushrooms you would reconstitute.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I tried to upload a photo of the actual cookies but it may have been too large.

FYI, 800 X 800 pixels is the maximum.