Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Vegetable prices today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Vegetable prices today

by GeoCWeyer » Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Broccoli #359 for 2 medium stalks, summer and zucchini $2.59 a lb! Wow
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Vegetable prices today

by Rahsaan » Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 am

GeoCWeyer wrote:Broccoli #359 for 2 medium stalks, summer and zucchini $2.59 a lb! Wow

Is that expensive? Sounds standard, assuming quality is good and not a bargain basement location.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 am

I hear you! I paid $4.69 for a single artichoke yesterday. However, I would expect to pay around $2 a pound for summer squashes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed May 21, 2014 12:11 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:Broccoli #359 for 2 medium stalks, summer and zucchini $2.59 a lb! Wow

Well you are up in Minnesota, where broccoli season lasts all of 12 minutes sometime in late August. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed May 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Have you priced citrus lately? Seems every store is charging $1/ea for a lemon and $0.89 for a lime. Since when?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Have you priced citrus lately? Seems every store is charging $1/ea for a lemon and $0.89 for a lime. Since when?

Maybe the weather?

But also this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/05/20/how-does-a-drug-cartel-become-a-lime-cartel/
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 am

The price on limes has been astronomical since the beginning of March, due to reasons Rahsaan pointed out, as well as disease hitting many of the Mexican lime trees, causing severe reduced harvest numbers. We are just now starting to see the price come down, but only slightly. I haven't seen a jump in price on lemons here.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu May 22, 2014 1:43 pm

It seems that every store here has raised prices on various vegetables $.50
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu May 22, 2014 5:31 pm

In light of California's worst drought in 500 years, I think this is only the beginning.

If we are lucky, the building El Nino could break the drought, but I don't think that comes into play till fall or early winter. California could be crispy by then.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2014 10:27 am

Jim Cassidy wrote:In light of California's worst drought in 500 years, I think this is only the beginning.

If we are lucky, the building El Nino could break the drought, but I don't think that comes into play till fall or early winter. California could be crispy by then.

For what it's worth, the clientele at a monthly food pantry I'm involved in is seeing dramatically growing crowds every month - up to 500 people this last time - and the increase seems directly related to rising food prices. :(
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri May 23, 2014 1:33 pm

More gardens!!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Redwinger wrote:More gardens!!

I agree, but that's going to be tough in California's climate. They're already draining the Colorado river. What do you reckon the fine will be for using the public water supply to irrigate your garden? :(
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 pm

It is going to be time to set up a grey water system at home for everyone who gardens in CA.

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Like other California droughts, this one will pass. In fact, if the experts are right about the currently building El Niño, CA may well have more water than they want by this time next year. Grey water systems will be forgotten until the next drought, just as Americans return to SUVs and pickups when each spike in gasoline prices passes.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:Like other California droughts, this one will pass. In fact, if the experts are right about the currently building El Niño, CA may well have more water than they want by this time next year. Grey water systems will be forgotten until the next drought, just as Americans return to SUVs and pickups when each spike in gasoline prices passes.

Hopefully it will pass "quickly". There is such a strain placed upon the Colorado River. Building up a "water inventory" takes time. Just stay away from our water here in MN!

Beef and dairy prices will take much longer for the "Inventory" to be built up again. People forget that CA became the # 1 dairy state. On the beef front the Texas beef herd has decreased by 80%.

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:44 am

Mark Willstatter wrote:Like other California droughts, this one will pass. In fact, if the experts are right about the currently building El Niño, CA may well have more water than they want by this time next year. Grey water systems will be forgotten until the next drought, just as Americans return to SUVs and pickups when each spike in gasoline prices passes.

That's certainly likely for homeowners and such. I'm not sure the farmers in the Valley have such short memories, though. They'll keep pushing for ways to ensure they aren't so hard hit the next time around.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Shopping yesterday, limes were back to 4/$1.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Shopping yesterday, limes were back to 4/$1.

I'm going to check at Safeway this afternoon! I couldn't believe it -- a lime about the size of a quarter for $0.89!!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon