Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Help wanted: how do I write a good recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Help wanted: how do I write a good recipe?

by Bob Ross » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:53 pm

From another thread where I posted a recipe, but actually make the dish differently; Robin suggested I start a new thread.

I know that there are many poorly written recipes out there (including some of my own). What makes a recipe one that foodies can use effectively?

As I wrote Robin, your recipes, and Jenise's, are written the way you actually make the dishes, and your cook's notes are an integral part of the directions. I would love to read hints from you, Jenise, Chef and other foodies on how to write good recipes so that people can use them effectively.

I don't think I've every seen a good checklist of how to do so.

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Help wanted: how do I write a good recipe?

by Bernard Roth » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:47 am

Before you even write the recipe, you should motivate the dish. What makes it special? Is there something novel about the concept, or is it just a good traditional version of a well-known dish?

I like to see the ingredients up front, unless it is a simple recipe with few ingredients. If there is a key step or two in the cooking, where a certain technique or attention to detail is essential to the outcome, then the recipe should put focus and emphasis on those points.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:44 am

Oops, Bob, I'm sorry, I thought you would notice that I already started this thread yesterday, <I>after</i> suggesting that you do it. ;)

See Tips on how to write a recipe for my post and a few good replies.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks, Bernard. I've read your recipes with pleasure -- you always "motivate the dish", and you do it very well.

I missed your post, Robin. Both scribbling away at the same time, I suppose. Thanks.