Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Intersting fast food chain in development: Loco'l

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Intersting fast food chain in development: Loco'l

by Jenise » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Los Angeles-based chef Roy Choi (Kogi, POT, Commissary) [father of the taco truck craze with his Korean tacos]and San Francisco-based Daniel Patterson (Coi) announced that were going into the fast food business together. Their new concept, which is still under development, is named loco'l — which means both local and crazy — and the first location will open in San Francisco in 2015. Locations — "Like a million," says Patterson — in Los Angeles and across the U.S. will follow.

Choi says the concept was inspired by the energy at "skate parks." He'll front the operation, while Patterson will do a lot of the recipe testing and organize back-of-house operations. Patterson has already developed the burger patty, which was cut with grain to make it more affordable. Chad Robertson of San Francisco's Tartine Bakery has created a recipe for a burger bun that's nutritious, whole-grain, and made from 20 percent rice. When he was asked how you start up a concept like this, Choi said, "How do you start? Fuck it man, you just start."

...Yesterday, Roy Choi told ISSF, "We want to go toe to toe with fast food chains and offer the community a choice." Menu items at loco'l will not exceed a $6 price point, put it at the same level as national fast food chains. ISSF confirms that the food will be made by chefs on site at each location and that the food will be "well-sourced" and "seasonal."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Intersting fast food chain in development: Loco'l

by Tom Troiano » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm

I don't think I would invest a lot of money in this but I'm sure the same was said about McDonalds 60 years ago.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Intersting fast food chain in development: Loco'l

by Jenise » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:I don't think I would invest a lot of money in this but I'm sure the same was said about McDonalds 60 years ago.

Similar thought went through my mind. Especially, the "chefs on site at each location" caused me to remember the little Mexican woman sorting through the beans (for rocks) that were going to go into the refried beans at the first Taco Bell I ever went to. That didn't last long!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov