Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Serving fish skin side up!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Serving fish skin side up!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:42 am

Can someone explain why some fish is served skin side up..salmon fillet etc.
I saw a well-known cooking person do this on her show recently and I was shocked .
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Serving fish skin side up!

by Barb Downunder » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 am

Generally fish is served skin side up if it is golden and crispy to keep it crispy and therefore yummy. :)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:14 am

If the fish is being broiled on a pre-heated broiler pan, and is cooked skin side down, the skin can stick to the broiler pan, making it difficult to remove and ruin the presentation.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:11 am

Howie Hart wrote:If the fish is being broiled on a pre-heated broiler pan, and is cooked skin side down, the skin can stick to the broiler pan, making it difficult to remove and ruin the presentation.

Not if you lightly flour beforehand.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:17 am

Did the well known person flour the fish before hand? Two cookbooks that I checked agree with Bob, skin down, but don't call for flour. I think I tried skin side down many years ago and it stuck to the broiler pan, so I've done it skin side up ever since. If it ends up served with the skin up and a bit sticks, it won't be seen.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm just perplexed why someone would be shocked at skin side up presentation. Done properly, fish skin can be both tasty and beautiful- why wouldn't you serve it skin side up?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:56 pm

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:16 pm

We do everything possible to get rid of fish skin. It detracts from the taste of the fish which is the primary for buying/catching it. Some fish skin, e.g. stripped bass, can stink up the whole neighborhood. Bluefish skin is only slightly less stinky.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:38 pm

I've been obsessed lately with ocean perch. At the local market it is $4.99/lb. Very much like the panfish I pulled out of the creek when I was a kid.

A light coating of flour and pan fried in butter for just a few minutes a side. Great, crispy, tasty skin.

Perfect summer fare with salad, fresh tomatoes, etc. Unfortunately, summer's all gone here now.

BTW. Tomorrow is my annual homage to Jenise's lamb and cabbage and tomato casserole. But that should be another thread.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:45 pm

So we seem to be divided which is good.
In the early 70s I worked at the Connaught Hotel in London as well as the George V in Paris. If I had served the fish skin up, I would be out of the door.
OK, so times change but I am not convinced that this type of presentation is very eye-pleasing.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:27 pm

So what do you do when you have a tail piece with skin on both sides? :twisted: Or whole sand dabs, for instance, which are delicious!

It depends, for me, on what I'm doing with the fish, and often as not, what I fix would never meet the "standard standards of standard appearance" which seems to be one of those things that "everybody knows" but nobody can articulate.

Most restaurant fish, BTW and IMH(aughty)O, is way overcooked. Especially salmon.

For grilling, I leave the skin on, and when it's just for me, I put the skin side (assuming there's just one) down and eat it off the skin.
For "pan grilling" or "pan broiling" it depends on what's going to go with or over the piece. Sometimes I leave the skin on and peel it before serving,sometimes I skin it ahead of time. Anything that's cooked in what will become the sauce or topping gets skinned.

So there!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Love crisp fish skin! With the addition of a little salt and a lot of heat I can make salmon skin taste like bacon. Of course, the skin side goes up, or, more likely, given the chunks of salmon I get, on the side.

I think part of the trick is not just to sear the skin -- in fact, that goes last. I begin by searing the sesame-crusted top, then rotate to three of the four sides. The heat coming from all directions starts melting the fat that is next to the skin. So when I finally put the skin side down, the heat cooks the skin and is not transferred through to the wet/fatty layer behind it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Howie Hart wrote:If the fish is being broiled on a pre-heated broiler pan, and is cooked skin side down, the skin can stick to the broiler pan, making it difficult to remove and ruin the presentation.

Yes, but you're describing a home-cooking problem. In good restaurant kitchens these days, any fish with a good-eating skin will usually be prepared in a skillet and served skin side up for the reason Barb described.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Jenise wrote:

Yes, but you're describing a home-cooking problem. In good restaurant kitchens these days, any fish with a good-eating skin will usually be prepared in a skillet and served skin side up for the reason Barb described.

Guess we continue to disagree.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:I've been obsessed lately with ocean perch. At the local market it is $4.99/lb. Very much like the panfish I pulled out of the creek when I was a kid.

A light coating of flour and pan fried in butter for just a few minutes a side. Great, crispy, tasty skin.

Perfect summer fare with salad, fresh tomatoes, etc. Unfortunately, summer's all gone here now.

BTW. Tomorrow is my annual homage to Jenise's lamb and cabbage and tomato casserole. But that should be another thread.

Ooh, that casserole sounds good to me, too! Perfect autumn food, isn't it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:
Guess we continue to disagree.

About what? This is definitely true on the west coast. Personally, I don't care for skin so would just as soon not have it on my plate, but that doesn't change what I see in restaurants.