Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So, whadja have for breakfast?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So, whadja have for breakfast?

by Jenise » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:41 pm

A fun Monday poll question.

I don't wake up hungry, and it takes 3-4 hours to build up enough appetite to make something. Today I didn't get hungry until around 10. By which time my cup of coffee was long gone, Bob who got up later had not eaten yet, and the cold gloom outside was getting to me so I made soup. Ramen noodles cooked in a hybrid chicken-beef broth sounded good but seemed a bit too plain so I added dried chives which was good, but suddenly I could taste an egg drop soup so into that I drizzled an egg, and then I decided what I really wanted was hot & sour, so in went vinegar, lily buds, bamboo in chile oil, shitake mushrooms and chile flakes. Ah, good.

You?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: So, whadja have for breakfast?

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Usual breakfast for me.
Loads of coffee.
Glass of OJ
More coffee.
A slice of homemade bread, toasted and gobs of real butter.
Slice of pumpkin bread.
Banana.
More Joe

I always start my day with a full dose of the 3 Cs....Caffeine, carbohydrate and cholesterol.
Last edited by Redwinger on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm a creature of habit and routine. Every day: Bottle of water for rehydration, cup of Greek yogurt, can of low sodium V8 juice, 2 mugs of half-caff, a banana, then... either breakfast burrito with some kind of leftovers plus egg and avocado - or - eggs and whole grain toast - or - 2 pieces of whole grain toast with almond butter and a cup of green tea.

Boring but healthy I think.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Pretty standard for me: English muffin, toasted, light butter. Bowl of fresh seasonal fruit (peaches just ended, sob, giving way to pears) cut up and stirred into plain lowfat organic yogurt and a little shake of raw sugar. Big glass of veggie juice (Red Gold's equivalent of V8) and a glass of water. Then off betimes on a 1/2-mile round trip power walk to the corner coffee shop for a caffeine infusion via soylatte. :mrgreen:

I got into this habit years ago and don't change it up much except for the seasonal fruit. It fills me up for the morning, seems reasonably healthy and tasty, and I'm not bored yet.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:01 pm

We usually have eggs, meat, toast, and coffee; but today it was just oatmeal and coffee.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:peaches just ended...

!!! Those are some seasons you have. They ended a long time ago around here.

I try to eat the same breakfast 365 days a year. It only varies if I'm traveling and can't control what I eat. Plain yogurt, seasonal fruit, prunes. And then lots of water to drink.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 pm

B'fast always depends on what's leftover. This am was a poached egg on top of some lamb moussaka. Coffee first. Grape juice from last years grapes processed and frozen. Winesap apple from the yard.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Weekday breakfast. Fruit, toast, coffee. Fruit this morning was grapefruit. Toast was a slice of wild rice & onion wheat bread. I won't buy another loaf - not my breakfast flavors. I disguised it somewhat with some blackberry jam.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:41 am

Very boring here. I get up at 5:30 and drink a bunch of coffee. At around 9:30, I have a Clif bar. That's goes for pretty much every weekday unless someone brings doughnuts or pastries in to work. Weekends, I could have just about anything, but often it's a small cup of homemade granola after lots of coffee.

I just don't like to eat in the morning.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:26 am

Today, it was coffee and a hard roll with butter. Most mornings it's just coffee.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:23 am

Rahsaan wrote:

I'm not a stickler for "local" as long as I'm eating fresh, preferably organic, regional fruit with good texture, aroma and flavor. I'll follow the season from South Carolina to Georgia, then Tennessee, Kentucky and Southern Indiana, then Pennsylvania and gone.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Had an early morning ENT appointment on Tuesday. So, on the way home we stopped at favorite b-fast place and had sausage, eggs, home fries with onions, raisin toast, and coffee.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Jenise's breakfast sounds great to me. I'm not normally a big breakfast guy, but I remember loving breakfast in Tokyo- miso soup, broiled fish, pickles, etc
I usually skipped breakfast except coffee till recently. Betsy has tried to get me to eat breakfast with her recently, and we tend to rotate- cereal and milk with fruit, oatmeal w/fruit,or 2 eggs & a slice of toast,
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:

I'm not a stickler for "local" as long as I'm eating fresh, preferably organic, regional fruit with good texture, aroma and flavor. I'll follow the season from South Carolina to Georgia, then Tennessee, Kentucky and Southern Indiana, then Pennsylvania and gone.

I agree. Can't only eat fruit from the farmers market. Not a viable year-round solution. But sounds like you have some better peach sources than we do. Nothing edible for at least the past month, farmers market and supermarkets included.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Rahsaan wrote:But sounds like you have some better peach sources than we do. Nothing edible for at least the past month, farmers market and supermarkets included.

We do have a trustworthy local chain of produce markets here with very knowledgable and strict buyers. Thinking back on it now, they did extend the season this year with fresh peaches from Michigan, which is all right, and then at the very end, for a couple of weeks from Idaho, which made me suspicious because of the distance but proved to be finely textured, aromatic fruit. Apparently picked short of ripeness, they opened up very nicely after a day or two at home. I was surprised, but happy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:B'fast always depends on what's leftover. This am was a poached egg on top of some lamb moussaka. Coffee first. Grape juice from last years grapes processed and frozen. Winesap apple from the yard.

I'm so there with you on the leftovers. Virtually anything I'd eat for dinner I would also eat for breakfast.

I'm really struck, though, reading through all the responses to see how many eat pretty much the same breakfast every day. We have no constants whatsoever though a few things, like avocado toast, and fresh fruit of course, recur frequently. Today, for example, for the first time in our lives we had peas and carrots for breakfast. Yup, a bowl of carrots that were peeled, cut on the diagonal and then sautéed til tender in a bit of butter into which about 1/4 c of white onion had been softened, with frozen peas added toward the end of cooking. Bob's bowl got a poached egg on top.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov