Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I Ate Trumpet of Death and Survived!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

I Ate Trumpet of Death and Survived!

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:57 am

For whatever reason we don't see much Trumpet of Death mushrooms around here.

Craterellus cornucopioides has also been called Black Trumpet and Black Chanterelle, and I have only seen it once in a restaurant where they were passing it off as black truffle by sauteing slices, then using them to top angel hair pasta and drizzling truffle oil (which is not a truffle product but does mimic the flavour) on top.

A friend recently bestowed some of these on me and I simply sauteed them in butter with a hint of fresh thyme and served them heaped on toast. Delicious, like a more concentrated chanterelle, albeit with less apricot flavour. Too bad we rarely see them and if they do appear they tend to be quite expensive.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I Ate Trumpet of Death and Survived!

by Jenise » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:27 pm

I had some fresh ones once from BC. And wow, what amazing flavor. I sautéed ours in butter and served them with pasta, a good choice because as you mention they taste a lot like truffle. In fact, I don't think I have ever tasted anything so close.
What a neat thing to get a gift of, so lucky you! Do they ever sell them at Granville Island?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:35 pm

These show up on the hiking trails around here. Now that I understand what they look like, AND that they have no poisonous look-a likes I will be gathering them whenever possible.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:43 pm

I've never seen them for sale. They came from Coop, so we can ask him!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:22 am

I've been looking for these, but haven't found them yet. A couple weeks ago I found gomphus, often considered a relative. NOT!! Instead, I did find lobsters. YUM! I made Tomato Coconut Curry soup, substituting lobster mushrooms for the meat. It's a keeper. My new favorite mushroom, lobsters!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon