Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Country of origin on meat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Country of origin on meat

by Shaji M » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Apparently the US is in some hot water over it's country of origin labeling laws. I for one, like to know where my food is coming from. Is this a case of unfair trade practice or is it about protecting the consumer?

http://rt.com/usa/197960-wto-cool-labeling-america/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Country of origin on meat

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Here is The Wall Street Journal's take on the same story.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/wto-pane ... 1413824655

I can't figure out immediately from reading this why the Canadian and Mexican producers feel the law is discriminatory, though, and unless I'm missing it, the articles publish their claim without explaining it. Do any of you see something that I'm not getting?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Country of origin on meat

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:44 pm

I happen to be an expert in country of origin labeling in accordance with US Customs regulations. This reg for meat is essentially an extension of what is required for airplane parts, soccer balls or ballpoint pens. It's just about tracking the origin of the livestock instead of the location of manufacture of consumer/industrial good piece parts that make up the whole assembly. Is it a pain to comply with? Sure is. Is it discriminatory? Only to people too disorganized to keep good records, and I doubt I want to buy meat from those folks.
Decisions are made by those who show up