Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stupid Chicken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Stupid Chicken

by Jenise » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm coming down with something, and felt so bad yesterday that Bob volunteered to run to the store for ingredients for a pot of chicken and noodles. He brought home a Smart Chicken. I usually buy a different brand of local/organic, but apparently this was all the store had.

I cut it into four parts and placed it in a pot with water, bay leaves, peppercorns and the requisite celery and onion to gently simmer. Two and a half hours later it was not only not falling off the bone yet, it was still clinging. The meat itself was downright rubbery, and fairly flavorless. It's the worst pot of chicken soup EVER.

I was pretty shocked. Chicken is basically already pretty healthy and low fat, what an idiotic thing to raise a bird so lean.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Stupid Chicken

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 am

Are you certain this was a hen (roasting chicken) and not a rooster (stewing chicken)? I absolutely hate stewing chickens. I've never had a good one!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 am

For soup, there is nothing better than a stewing chicken that takes hours of long slow simmer. I do make soup with roasters and fryers but enrich the flavor with extra onion, leek, carrot, herbs.
I agree, nothing worse than flabby soup !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Are you certain this was a hen (roasting chicken) and not a rooster (stewing chicken)? I absolutely hate stewing chickens. I've never had a good one!

Yup, roasting chicken. Brand: Smart Chicken (as in 'heart smart', extra low cholesterol). It was like 16 bucks. They're odd birds, btw, the skin fits super tight, and the dark meat looks like white meat. Maybe that's the 'smart' part. Anyway, horrible birds. Avoid!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov