Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Deal on granite mortar and pestle sets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Deal on granite mortar and pestle sets

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:37 pm

www.importfood.com sells Thai cooking ingredients, produce, kitchen utensils, and cookware online. Among the things that they sell are Thai mortar and pestle sets carved out of solid granite--the kind they use in Thailand to hand-grind Thai curry pastes and whatnot. I own one of the 8" models and it is excellent. I use it as a first stage in making Thai curry pastes--I do the initial pounding of the spices and fresh ingredients in the mortar to get that crushing of the ingredients you can't get any other way, then I finish the grinding in a food processor. I also use the mortar and pestle to grind spices for Indian cooking.

Anyway, their supplier shipped them too many 6" mortar and pestles, they don't have room to stock them, and they're selling them off at a deep discount. The catch is that you have to buy a whole case of six. The price for six is $68. Normally they sell them for $22.95 each, meaning that six would cost your $137.70.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this on in case anyone here on FLDG is interested. The special offer is on this web page: http://importfood.com/current102314.html .

-Paul W.