Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking artichokes with flour to prevent oxidation?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cooking artichokes with flour to prevent oxidation?

by Jenise » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:31 pm

I am currently reading a book by Luke Barr about the year 1970 in Provence, a year when Julia Child, James Beard, Richard Olney and his aunt, MFK Fisher, all spent time together there. He mentions Richard Olney defying French convention about cooking artichokes in acidulated water with flour to keep the hearts white, and happily accepting the natural gray color.

This was news to me. Flour? Anyone know anything more about this method?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Cooking artichokes with flour to prevent oxidation?

by Barb Downunder » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Jenise
I have heard of the flour thing and the acidulation but mine always go gray anyway and taste just fine.
But more to the point are you enjoying the book ? I read it a few weeks ago and found it fascinating.
I love MFK Fishers works and a different perspective from a family member fills in a little more
background.
I have also recently read Dearie a biography of Julia Child by Bob Spitz which was a good read also.

Wouldn't it have been fun to be at any of those meals in Provence with such a cast.!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Hi Jenise
I have heard of the flour thing and the acidulation but mine always go gray anyway and taste just fine.
But more to the point are you enjoying the book ? I read it a few weeks ago and found it fascinating.
I love MFK Fishers works and a different perspective from a family member fills in a little more
background.
I have also recently read Dearie a biography of Julia Child by Bob Spitz which was a good read also.

Wouldn't it have been fun to be at any of those meals in Provence with such a cast.!

Acid, of course, makes sense, I just can't fathom the flour.

Am enjoying the book tremendously. I've read several of her books without realizing until seeing it mentioned in this one that she and I are from the same small home town of Whittier, California. Earlier today I ordered the book that describes her childhood--can't wait!

Haven't read Dearie but know of it. Did it give you a different perspective on Julia than you got from Julia's own books?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:34 am

It is simple really: French flour used to contain ascorbic acid, and much still does! The same thing in Sweden, btw.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:13 am

Ascorbic acid, huh. Does it react with the lemon juice? I just did some googling and found quite a few mentions of the method. A basic recipe would be:

2 large artichokes
Juice of 1 lemon
Sat and pepper to taste
3 cups water
2 tablespoons flour

...a combination called a 'Blanc'. The artichokes would get heavily trimmed down to the yellow inner parts, dunked in the Blanc, and then cooked in the Blanc.