Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Almond butter kale chips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Almond butter kale chips

by Christina Georgina » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Got a gift subscription to Food and Wine and this month saw a recipe for kale chips with almond butter. If you like kale chips, DO TRY.
I only had mature curly Russian kale and chunky almond butter. Did NOT need the canola oil. DID need the salt.
Ignored the proportions. Used just enough almond butter with a generous pinch of salt to rub both sides of the torn kale, placed it on a baking sheet and did follow temp - 325 -and slightly less time- 16 min - you can smell when the kale is done. Let it cool. the finished product dissolves in your mouth like cotton candy but with a terrific savory taste.
You could use any kind of nut butter. Thinking of using Koeze's peanut butter or sesame paste with seasoning ? Aziza curry or harrissa . A terrific accompaniment for drinks. Will definitely do again in variation.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Almond butter kale chips

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Sounds terrific! Was it time intensive to rub the individual kale pieces with the almond butter or did that go pretty quickly?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Almond butter kale chips

by Christina Georgina » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:03 am

No time at all. Just dipped the leaf into the room temp butter and smeared it on both sides. My almond butter had separated so i grabbed about half as much oil as butter into another bowl and mixed it up with a good pinch of salt. It was fairly loose and dippable. The entire thing took about 10 min prep time, 16 min cook time and 10 min cool time.
Mamma Mia !