Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Best MeatLoaf I've Ever Eaten (reposted for Davy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Best MeatLoaf I've Ever Eaten (reposted for Davy)

by Jenise » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Such is the legend of this meatloaf that a workmate of my husband named Davy, who lives in Ireland and once got served this for dinner at our home while here on business, contacted me recently via Facebook and asked for the recipe. Though it has been years since we enjoyed that evening together, he never got over the meatloaf!

Date: 01-Nov-2004 22:29
Author: Jenise Email
Subject: RC: The best meat loaf I've ever eaten, bar none (repost)
View Parent message

Yep--not just made myself, but eaten. I've never had a meat loaf as good: the leanest ground beef, sausage, fresh bread crumbs and grated mozzarella seasoned with veritable handfuls of sun-dried tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil and wine.

This was adapted from a recipe by Mario Batali's father Armandino, himself a restauranteur in Seattle. My version reduces the quantity and the fat and makes some minor tweaks that, with all due respect, made a great thing even better.

1 to 1.25 lb extra lean ground beef
3 sweet raw Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
1 cup grated mozzarella (kind of packed, don't skimp!)
3 tblsp dried basil (generous)
1 tblsp dried oregano (generous)
1 medium brown or white onion, finely diced and sweated in 1 tblsp butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1.5 cups fresh breadcrumbs
3/4 c. finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 c. V-8, divided
2 eggs
1/2 c. dry white wine

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small saucepan melt the butter and soften the onions. Gently combine all but the last three ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Separately, mix half the V-8 with the eggs and wine, then fold into the meat mixture. Form a loaf (I recommend using a foil-lined cookie sheet), then rub the remaining V-8 over the loaf. Then sprinkle a little extra salt, pepper and oregano on top to give the crust an even more intense flavor.

Pop into your hot oven and bake for one hour. Turn oven off and open door slightly to let the loaf rest before slicing, about 15 minutes.

If you're used to meat loaf having a gravy and are concerned that this one will be dry without same, worry not. This meatloaf is so moist it oozes, and a sauce would IMO be gratuitous. I served ours over a puddle of soft, steamed zucchini.

Oh, and it's fantastic cold--guess what I just ate a slice of for breakfast?

Makes about six servings.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: The Best MeatLoaf I've Ever Eaten (reposted for Davy)

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:42 pm

A walk down memory lane - I remember that post well.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:37 am

Yes! I usually make a double batch, make one meatloaf and exclude the mozarella in the other half, which I use for meatballs.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:19 am

Made it myself last night!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:12 pm

In honor of my son in law also named Davy, I made this meatloaf for the first time last night as part of a very comfy holiday season family meal, served with a Caesar salad made from our home grown romaine, crispy skinned baked golden potatoes and cauliflower with a bechamel sauce. Davy and all of the rest of us loved it, and the ketchup that Kirk usually wants on his meatloaf never made an appearance. Thanks, it's a keeper.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:49 pm

It's become the standard meat loaf in our house and I'm grateful for that fact. :D