Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Slow Cooker Whole Chicken w/lemon, rosemary, kalamata

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Slow Cooker Whole Chicken w/lemon, rosemary, kalamata

by Jenise » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:08 am

I probably haven't used my crock pot in two years, so it's not something I have a lot of experience with. But I sure like the sound of this bird--IF the skin crisps up as they say.

Ingredients

3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup Kalamata olives
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 lemon, halved
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
4 to 5 pound whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry with giblets removed

Directions

In a food processor, pulse the garlic, olives, olive oil, salt and pepper together until they create a coarse paste. Use your fingers to gently loosen skin covering breast and thighs of chicken; place half of paste under skin, directly on meat of breast and thighs. Gently press on skin to distribute paste over meat. Spread entire exterior surface of chicken with remaining paste and place chicken, breast side down, in slow cooker.

Add one lemon half and one rosemary sprig to inside of chicken. Thinly slice the remaining lemon half and place slices on top of chicken, as well as remaining rosemary sprigs.

Cover and cook until breast registers 160 degrees F and thighs register 175 degrees F, about 4 hours on low.

Remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a baking sheet, then broil for 8 minutes to achieve crispy skin.

Transfer chicken to carving board, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve chicken, discarding skin if desired.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: RCP: Slow Cooker Whole Chicken w/lemon, rosemary, kalam

by Frank Deis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 pm

I like to use my slow cooker but I was dubious about the crispy skin. The last step, removing the chicken and broiling, sounds like a winner, and the flavors sound really interesting!

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: RCP: Slow Cooker Whole Chicken w/lemon, rosemary, kalam

by Tom NJ » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Huh. This looks really good. I love Kalamata olives. I don't have a slow cooker/crock pot, but my rice cooker is great at this stuff. I've gotta give it a try. Thanks for posting this, Jenise!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."