Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Having trouble finding green peppercorns!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Having trouble finding green peppercorns!

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:53 pm

I need some green peppercorns in brine (like 1/2 cup) and I can't even find plain old green pepper corns! Any recommendations for a substitute?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Having trouble finding green peppercorns!

by Carl Eppig » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Penseys' has 'em.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:06 pm

As Carl said, Penzey's. If there isn't a store near you (or Savory; they have them too), and you can't wait for shipping, white will sort of work, especially if you add a bit of dried parsley for the color.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm not sure dry white peppercorns would work that well for green/brined. I'd use capers with a dusting of pepper.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Amazon carries them, in brine and otherwise.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:42 pm

John, adding to the Penzey's noise here. If you're following a recipe that calls for green peppercorns, then get the dry green ones from Penzey's and simply reconstitute them in a water-salt-vinegar solution. But I would suggest that the brined ones are possibly being called for because they don't need hydration and green peppercorns aren't a supermarket staple where peppercorns in brine are. It's probably an availability issue, not a preference IOW.

But by all means buy the dried peppercorns, they're quite useful. I made some beans the other day (from dry) and threw a small handful of green peppercorns into the pot along with thyme and orange peel. The appearance of one of those peppercorns in any bite was a small thrill to get. They soften up a bit and become quite pleasant. The ones in brine are usually in the grocery store in the department where all the small pickled things are, Reese's is one brand I recall buying before I switched permanently to dried.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Dried peppercorns aren't a good substitute for green. Imported Thai green peppercorns in brine can be found here, at importfood.com: http://importfood.com/gpbk1601.html .

One note of caution: green peppercorns rapidly turn black when exposed to oxygen. This happened to all of the rest of them in the jar in the fridge. It doesn't affect the flavor, fortunately. When I open the next jar, I'm going to put a teaspoon of ascorbic acid in the jar.

-Paul W.