Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Sticky Toffee Pudding

by Frank Deis » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:06 pm

I've known about "plum pudding" or "Christmas pudding" forever, and I'm not entirely sure why -- I suppose it is mentioned in literature, and it's been in movies etc. And over the years I've managed to obtain it, it seems like you could buy it in a tin, kind of like date/nut bread. And we had it up at my wife's family's house, there was always some discussion about whether to have it with hard sauce or cumberland sauce. Perhaps this was because my wife's maternal ancestors included some Brits who came over to Vermont around 1870 so the traditions could have stayed alive.

What surprises me is that I know all of that but I had not really encountered Sticky Toffee Pudding until recently, I suppose within this past year. I saw it made on a TV cooking show and thought, yum, that looks delicious. And then last August we had a very fancy meal at the Peacock Inn in Princeton and I ordered it for dessert, and it really WAS delicious.

So when friends invited us to visit and invited Louise to bring desserts I went looking for a recipe, and we made it. It is much simpler than plum pudding -- it's not steamed, there is no suet, there is not much fruit -- only dates. And when it was done I thought of taking a picture but it looks more or less like gingerbread, brown and plain like a cake. It is a "pudding" only in the British sense of "dessert." If someone offers you a "pudding" in England and you say yes, they might hand you an orange.

Of course the thing that makes it delicious is the sauce, a rich toffee sauce with dark brown sugar, butter, and cream, plus the chopped dates which disappear into the cake and give it a rich wonderful texture. This was very popular at our friends' dinner -- and I served it with a 1980 Gould Campbell vintage Port.

If you want the recipe, just Google "Martha Stewart Sticky Toffee Pudding." There are other versions out there but hers uses dark brown sugar and several others don't. And that's the one we made.

http://www.marthastewart.com/964319/sti ... ffee-sauce
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Sticky Toffee Pudding

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:13 pm

Nice. I've also heard about this but never made one. Sounds very doable. Will have to try.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Never been a fan of plum pudding, but sticky toffee looks like something to try.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Thomas and Rahsaan -- I hope you will like it and I think you will, if you like sweet cakes.

FWIW my wife thinks that her family "always" had plum pudding, but it was mostly with Foamy Sauce. So if that's true then that's probably where I learned about it. But I also know that in Victorian times there was a surprise inside -- sometimes a threepenny bit. (This custom is described in Dylan Thomas's "A Child's Christmas in Wales.") My in-laws didn't do that, or have Christmas Crackers.

There were recipes for plum pudding, and the various sauces, in the old Joy of Cooking. Don't know if they are still there in the newer "healthier" Joy of Cooking.

FWIW in the 19th century the English thruppence was a tiny silver coin, maybe half the diameter of a dime, so easy to hide in a pudding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threepence ... sh_coin%29
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:12 am

Frank Deis wrote:Thomas and Rahsaan -- I hope you will like it and I think you will, if you like sweet cakes.

FWIW my wife thinks that her family "always" had plum pudding, but it was mostly with Foamy Sauce. So if that's true then that's probably where I learned about it. But I also know that in Victorian times there was a surprise inside -- sometimes a threepenny bit. (This custom is described in Dylan Thomas's "A Child's Christmas in Wales.") My in-laws didn't do that, or have Christmas Crackers.

There were recipes for plum pudding, and the various sauces, in the old Joy of Cooking. Don't know if they are still there in the newer "healthier" Joy of Cooking.

FWIW in the 19th century the English thruppence was a tiny silver coin, maybe half the diameter of a dime, so easy to hide in a pudding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threepence ... sh_coin%29

Frank:

Suet is for woodpeckers in winter at my bird feeder ;)
Thomas P