Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kale sprouts

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Kale sprouts

by Jenise » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks to Trader Joe's, I've now had my hands on this delightful new vegetable, a hybrid of red kale and Brussels sprouts. It's a bagged vegetable in the fresh produce section. Hope it's a permanent item and not just something they got in for Christmas, because they're good! Cooks beautifully in a quick saute. I used a small wok, in which went a little oil, then the sprouts, some salt and a sliced garlic clove; tossed till all were coated and then added a splash of water before the garlic could color to steam-fry until finished.

Major yum.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Kale sprouts

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:17 pm

The farmers market down here sells them and they have very nice specimens. Nice to see that they're entering distribution at TJs!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Make your own. Very easy seed to sprout. The red kale is beautiful and all kale seeds are tasty with distinctive kale flavors. Also love radish sprouts. Broccoli is a little fussy about the temperature for germination. Sunflower sprouts are huge. Keep an extra heating pad on hand when higher temps needed. Works well if you are at minus 12 and keep the house at 62 !!
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:06 pm

I do sometimes sprout seeds, Christina, but these aren't just sprouts, in spite of the name, it's a full-on vegetable plant that, if I understand it correctly, causes kale to grow in the manner of Brussels sprouts, such that a central stalk spawns little 1-3 inch long little heads for harvesting. They're wonderful! Trader Joe's had a few bags yesterday but I'm not hopeful that they're going to get more in when these are gone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Ah, yes! I have seen seeds for those plants in last years seed catalogs. Sounds interesting and will keep my eye open for them next time at a TJ's
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:00 am

Just read this thread, and by sheer coincidence the motel I am staying at in Central Otago, NZ, has a September 2014 issue of Australian Womens Weekly and there's an item on this vegetable that I was hitherto unaware of..

Says brusselkale has taken 15 years to perfect and "The invention has been named 'flower sprout' for the United States market, where it is hoped the more attractive moniker will entice the Americans to eat their greens."

:)