Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Lemon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Lemon

by Ted Richards » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:15 am

I tried this last weekend and decided it's definitely a keeper. The original recipe was by Joanne Smart at http://www.finecooking.com, although there seems to be lots of variiants on the web (search for "thighs potatoes artichokes"). The one I want to try next adds a fennel bulb, quartered and cut into chunks, to the recipe.

It's dead simple to make, and only dirties one baking sheet.

Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Lemon

¼ cup plus 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, more for the baking sheet
4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, trimmed of excess skin and fat
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
10- to 12-oz. package frozen artichoke hearts
1 lemon
1 lb. small potatoes, such as fingerling or baby Yukon golds, those over 2 inches cut in half
4 small sprigs fresh thyme
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish (optional)

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450°F.

Lightly oil a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet. Put the chicken thighs on the baking sheet with plenty of room in between them. Season well with salt and pepper and roast in the hot oven for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove the artichokes from their package and rinse them in a colander under warm water to separate them and to begin to thaw them. (It's fine if they're still partially frozen when you roast them.) Drain them well.

Thinly slice half the lemon and juice the other half. Measure 4 tsp. of the juice into a small bowl and whisk in 3 Tbs. of the olive oil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Save any remaining juice for another use.

Put the artichokes in a large bowl with the potatoes, thyme sprigs, lemon slices, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp. of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Toss to coat well.

When the thighs have roasted for 15 minutes, take the baking sheet out of the oven. Dump the artichokes, potatoes, and lemon slices onto the baking sheet in the empty spots surrounding the thighs. Try to distribute things more or less evenly and in a single layer so the vegetable get nicely browned. Keep the lemon slices toward the center of the pan so they don't burn.

Continue roasting until the chicken skin is crisp, the meat cooked through, and the artichokes and potatoes are tender and browned, another 30 to 40 minutes.

Divide the thighs and the vegetables among four plates. Drizzle each serving with the lemon vinaigrette and sprinkle with a little fresh parsley, if using.

Serves 4.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Le

by Jenise » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 pm

What an interesting method, the group roast--I expected to read about a braise. Will have to try, sounds like my kind of food!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Le

by Jenise » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Trying this tonight.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov