Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Best Lasagna Recipe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Best Lasagna Recipe

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Having a wine crew over for an Italian tasting and thought I'd do a home made lasagna Bolognese.

Anyone have a killer recipe their Nonna left them?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Best Lasagna Recipe

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:51 pm

LASAGNA:

½ lb (9) Lasagna noodles
1 lb Ricotta
12 oz Mozzarella
1 C Freshly grated Romano
Marinara sauce*

Cook noodles according to direction on package. Prepare lasagna pan by oiling lightly with olive oil. Shred Mozzarella and crumble the Ricotta. Spread a ladleful of sauce of the bottom of pan. Place three noodles across pan for first layer. Cover noodles with 1/3 of Ricotta, 1/3 of Mozzarella, and 1/3 of sauce in that order. Pat whole concoction with back of ladle until cheese melts a little and spreads out without lumps. Sprinkle on 1/3 of grated Romano. Repeat until three layers are constructed, ending with grated Romano on top. Cook in a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes. Run under broiler until top just begins to brown. Serve immediately.

*Marinara Sauce:

1 Onion chopped
¼ C Olive oil
2 (1 tsp) Minced garlic cloves
1 lb Italian Sausage**
1 1 lb 12 oz Can crushed or ground tomatoes
1 6 oz Can Tomato paste
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Lawry salt
1/8 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp Granulated garlic
½ tsp Powdered mushrooms
¼ tsp Ground bay leaf
½ C Port wine
1 ½ C Beef stock

Nuke onion in oil and add to large heavy saucepan. Add garlic and sausage in small pieces, and stir with a wooden folk until red goes away and meat crumbles. Add tomatoes, paste, wine, stock, and all the seasonings. Stir and crape up anything sticking the bottom of the pot. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for 1 ½ hours, stirring now and then to prevent sticking. Add to lasagna.

**Italian Sausage:

1 lb Ground pork
½ T Whole fennel seed
½ T Dry basil
½ tsp Granulated garlic
½ tsp Paprika
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
1 T Marsala
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Carl's recipe will suffice as Bolgnese, but Carl, there's no meat in a marinara sauce.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Thomas wrote:Carl's recipe will suffice as Bolgnese, but Carl, there's no meat in a marinara sauce.

Picky, picky; but you're right Thomas.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm not sure where this came from. Probably here! But it's awesome. Pasted verbatim from my copy.

Lasagne Bolognese

The magic in this dish is the nearly one quart of besciamella (nutmeg spiced white sauce) that is not only the topping for the lasagna, but the moisture absorbed into each layer of fresh (make your own or purchase) lasagna noodles. There is no ricotta, only a sprinkling of parmesan on each layer which infuses the pie with a nutty pungence. Delicately thin fresh pasta of your own making should may result in five to seven layers, but if you use storebought (as I went out for yesterday afternoon, the extra hour on my feet to make my own would have killed me) your noodles might be a tad thicker and restrict you to five layers in a 2" deep pan. Your pan should be approximately 9 x 12 or 13, and the finished pie will serve 6 - 8 (the piece shown above was 1/6th).

For the meat sauce/filling:

EVOO and butter
2 carrots, finely diced
2 celery ribs, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
five cloves garlic, minced
About 3 ounces pancetta
1 lb ground veal
1 lb ground pork
3 ounces (half a typical can) of tomato paste
1 cup whole milk
1 cup dry white wine
3 basil leaves, finely chopped, or 2 pinches dried
salt and pepper to taste

For the besciamella:

5 tblsp butter
3 tblsp flour
3 cups whole milk
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

Also:

1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
2 tblsp olive oil

First, make the meat filling. Put enough butter and olive oil in a 6-8 quart pot (Dutch oven is perfect) to sweat the vegetables until tender, about ten minutes. Then add the ground meats and pancetta and cook until the meat cooks through and begins to crumble. Break up any lumps and add the milk, wine, basil, pepper and tomato paste. Simmer for at least one hour, then salt to taste and allow the sauce to reduce if neccessary, uncovered, to make a thick, but not dry, sauce.

While the meat filling is cooking, prepare the besciamella per classic white sauce methods: make the roux (melt the butter, add flour), let it cook for a few minutes, then add hot milk (scald it first and it won't form so much skin), nutmeg and salt. Simmer on low heat for about ten minutes to completely cook the flour, then set aside.

Blanch the pasta: bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 tblsp of vegetable oil to help prevent sticking (purists will tell you that this is an unneccessary step if you don't crowd the pot, but I've always found it useful). Drop in a few leaves of pasta at a time and fish them out in a minute or less, laying out on towels to drain and dry.

A note about pasta quantity: My pasta sheets were longer than my pan but half a sheet was about the width, so I cut the sheets in half and planned to use three overlapping pieces per layer. I ended up with four layers needing 12 pieces.

Assemble the lasagna: put a ladle full of meat sauce on the bottom of the pan with 2 tblsp EVOO and about two tblsp of parmesan. Top with the first layer of pasta, then cover the pasta with a ladle (about half a cup) of the white sauce. (You basically need to reserve one cup of white sauce for the topping and divide the remainder among the number of layers you expect to make.) Now top the white sauce with the meat filling: if you're making five layers of pasta, then distribute one fourth of the sauce now), and two more tablespoons of the parmigiano. Repeat, topping the last layer of pasta with the final cup of the besciamella and the remaining parmesan. If you like (I liked), sprinkle more basil on top and black pepper.

Bake lasagna uncovered at 350 until golden and bubbling, about 45 minutes if you bake it immediately after assembly when the ingredients are room temperature or warm. It will take more time if the lasagna is chilled before baking. Allow the pie to rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

We enjoyed this with a 99 Monti Barbera from Italy.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:57 am

Fred Sipe wrote:I'm not sure where this came from. Probably here!

Yup. http://forums.wineloverspage.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14609
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:16 am

Bill, as Jeff pointed out, Fred's recipe was one of my posts. I've never had better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks, guys, looks good!
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:21 am

Jenise wrote:Bill, as Jeff pointed out, Fred's recipe is mine. I've never had better.

I should have known! :D
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:38 pm

fred's recipe is real bolognese - marinara is different as can be seen.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:59 pm

David Creighton wrote:fred's recipe is real bolognese - marinara is different as can be seen.

Remember, Fred's recipe is Jenise's recipe. I just forgot who posted it initially.

And yes, it's damn good!