Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New York tips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Francesco

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:25 pm

New York tips

by Francesco » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi there.I am fighting to get some time to get more often here and to my kitchen. After weeks today I managed to make this nice chateaubriand with fois gras with a port reduction. Mmm ... will try again next week for the first guests since I started my studied in january.

Anyway, I got carried away ... in May my fiancee and I will be in New York. Weird enough she will be in NYC on business trip and I will be stopping there on my way back from Chicago on business trip.
I was wondering which fine place we should pay a visit to while there.

Thanks for any tips!
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

Depends on what you like...

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:53 pm

But I can recommend from experience:

WD-50 is my vote for most interesting cuisine in New York.

Tia Pol is great Tapas that we go to fairly often and stay for, well, hours.

I love Aquavit even though it has been around for a long time. It's difficult to find Scandinavian haute cuisine at such a high level anywhere.

If you tell us what you like, we'll tell you where to go.
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Depends on what you like...

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 pm

Alan Uchrinscko wrote:I love Aquavit even though it has been around for a long time. It's difficult to find Scandinavian haute cuisine at such a high level anywhere.

Haute cuisine from the land of lutefisk and surstromming? I have to confess that most Scandinavian cuisine I've encountered is "high" in completely another sense. :) :)

-Paul W. (whose maternal grandfather was Swedish and loved the stuff)
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Re: New York tips

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:22 pm

Paul,

Aquavit is kind of passe now, but I still love it. I got *stuck* pouring wines next to their table at some food and wine thing several years ago and I was bartering bottles of riesling for oysters, herring and all sorts of little things the whole time :)
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:25 pm

A lot depends on what you like (and what you want to spend). Some pointers and I'm sure we can help.

And I think Aquavit might not be as trendy as it used to be, but it's fun and exciting food (in both restaurant and cafe).
no avatar
User

Francesco

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:25 pm

by Francesco » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:07 pm

Thanks all.
What do we like ?! Mmm ... I like most cuisines as long as they respect the flavours and ingredients. On the other hand ... I just browsed some NYC restaurant sites and I got shocked at the prices. As expensive as European starred places ... and as European I wonder if they can keep up with the best eurpean crop of restaurants. :D
What I don't like ... things like Fat Duck or El Bulli. My experience is food and not the surrounding (like gas baloon)
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:42 pm

New York is indeed expensive!

I'll mention again Tia Pol. Since it's Tapas ranging from $4 - $15 at most, you can control your spending however you'd like. plus there's an interesting selection of Albarino and Txakoli that will run you no more than $30/bottle. It's my vote for best value in New York (except for when we end up ordering 7 or 8 rounds of tapas with bottle after bottle of wine - it can add up in a hurry.
Alan Uchrinscko