Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bocuse d'Or 2015: U.S. takes 2nd place

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Bocuse d'Or 2015: U.S. takes 2nd place

by Jenise » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Bocuse d'Or — the Olympics-like French culinary competition that takes place every two years in January in Lyon, France — announced its winners today after two days of intense kitchen competition. A total of 24 countries were represented this year. Norway took home the gold; the U.S. won the silver medal; and Sweden took home a bronze for third place. This was the first year the Americans placed higher than sixth in the international competition. The American team was led by Thomas Keller, Daniel Boulud, and Gavin Kaysen. French Laundry executive sous chef Philip Tessier and his commis Skylar Stover rounded out the American team.

Gleaned from the rest of the article: There are actually five top awards, one of which is Best Fish Dish and that was taken by Japan. Not sure what the fifth and last award is--but for the first time ever, France did not take one of the top five awards.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Bocuse d'Or 2015: U.S. takes 2nd place

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:50 pm

YEW ESS AYYY!!!! :wink:

I wonder how they got Thomas Keller and Daniel Boulud's egos in the same kitchen.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I wonder how they got Thomas Keller and Daniel Boulud's egos in the same kitchen.

I could picture Boulud telling Keller, "Look, you stay on your side of the sous vide machine and I will stay on my side of the sous vide machine."
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 pm

LOL, Dave.

Btw, the fifth category was Best Meat Dish, and that was won by Norway.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov