Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So who's cooking for Superbowl Sunday?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So who's cooking for Superbowl Sunday?

by Jenise » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:21 pm

And what's on the menu?

Here at Chez J so far: WA wines, devilled chicken wings, something vegetable though not sure what yet, and blue/green/white Jelly Bellies.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: So who's cooking for Superbowl Sunday?

by Frank Deis » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:32 pm

I've cooked a "serious" Texas chili -- all meat, killer chili powders -- for a few years now.

This year I'm taking the lazy way out. I love the taste of the New England Clam Chowder you can get at Costco, and a package has a lot of it. So I bought 2 packages today and read the label. I was a little shocked that Legal Seafood Clam chowder contains =NO= clams. Mostly pollock and other fish. So obviously I am going to have to make some real chowder and combine. STILL as I said before you kinda can't beat the flavor of this stuff. People will enjoy it.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:21 am

It depends on the weather. 6-10 inches of snow forecast for Sunday at this point. If weather is not bad, I'll be taking a sheet pizza (sausage & black olives) and nachos to Mary Jo's niece's.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 am

What is this "Superb Owl" of which you speak?

{o,o}
./)_)
" "
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:32 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:What is this "Superb Owl" of which you speak?

{o,o}
./)_)
" "

:lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Not here.. lunch at Arte Cafe and then Julia's first live theater experience at Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts.. I think we will be home to see most of the last half, though.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:32 pm

James Dietz wrote:Not here.. lunch at Arte Cafe and then Julia's first live theater experience at Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts.. I think we will be home to see most of the last half, though.

Same Arte Café I remember? If so, is there a chair with your name on it? I remember you there with Lorena before you were married. Your attendance there should be at the legacy level by now. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 am

Chile that's in the fridge if it hasn't molded over. Have other options!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Chile that's in the fridge if it hasn't molded over. Have other options!

Freeze it 'til Sunday?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:04 pm

For what it is worth, I made my own batch of clam chowder this morning -- one personal touch, I chopped up a leek rather fine and added that to the recipe. When a leek "melts" into a soup it really tends to improve the flavor. And the recipe called for celery, bay leaves, onion, and russet potato chunks. When I mixed in the Costco Legal Seafood chowder, I noticed that I had read the contents wrong and there is indeed "clam meat" listed fairly high up on the ingredients. Just read it wrong I suppose. The combination did indeed taste quite good. I'm a little worried about how much total to make -- it's not a big party and there are generally people who might not eat clams, and people who might be lactose intolerant. Oh well. One package of the Costco stuff contains 2 plastic tubs. I put in one tub in already and I think I'll take another tub to add if it looks like the dish is popular. Last time I did this was for our film club a few years ago and I was scraping bottom for a couple of people who got left out before I knew it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Frank, at something like a Superbowl party, the probability of a lot of refills for something as good as it sounds like you made is pretty high. And might be especially so if you've made the only hot item. I can promise you this: were I there I probably couldn't get enough of it. Clam chowder is a crave item for me but I never make it at home because of Bob's bi-valve allergy. Were I able to help myself to more and more of yours, I would!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Chili is thawing! Had a full meal at a Franciscan Fraternity Meeting this pm; so a bowl of chili should do the trick!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Carl, pass me a bowl, would you? :) Turned out rainy and cold today which I wasn't quite prepared for; when I'd planned my menu earlier in the week it was sunny and springlike, so I planned sunny/springlike foods. And now I'm stuck. :)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:17 pm

I decided no to go to the Super Bowl party, as it snowing and we're expecting 10-14 inches overnight, so I'll just have some munchoids here. Maybe I'll make pizza.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Carl, pass me a bowl, would you? :) Turned out rainy and cold today which I wasn't quite prepared for; when I'd planned my menu earlier in the week it was sunny and springlike, so I planned sunny/springlike foods. And now I'm stuck. :)

CHILI:

FRIJOLES:

1 lb Pinto beans
6 C. Water
1 Lg onion chopped
2 cloves (1 tsp) Minced garlic
1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Ground cumin
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry salt
1 tsp Black pepper
3 tbl Bacon fat

Rinse and pick over beans, and put in slow cooker (crock pot), cover with water and soak overnight. In the morning add remaining ingredients, and cook on low for 24 hours.

FINISH CHILI:

2 Onions chopped
2 Garlic cloves minced
½ C Olive oil
2 lbs Lean ground beef
2 28oz Cans ground tomatoes
2 tsp Beef bouillon granules
1 tsp Tabasco
2 tbl Chili powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Lawry salt
1 tsp Pepper
2 Bay leaves or ½ tsp powdered bay leaves

In a pot large enough for whole recipe cook onions in oil adding garlic last. Brown beef in the pot until red turns brown. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Add Frijoles. Bring to boil and simmer 45 minutes.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:52 am

Like the recipes even though I don't watch sports. I didn't even know that the Superbowl was on until after the fact when I found some of my PVR-ed favourites truncated by about 25% with after game babble when I looked at them the day after.

Usually I do know when it is on, I just haven't got a clue who is playing. :roll: A good friend used to have a huge Superbowl party every year. I'd attend but always found the only spot in the house with no TV - the large garage under the house, where like minded people gathered to talk cars and drink without that annoying football noise going on. To each his own, but as a said, I have no problems with food and recipes for that sort of gathering.

Although I am of the school that believes that real chili has no beans. Another 'to each his own'. I've been known to enjoy it either way. Probably time I made a big pot (we freeze it and use it over the following weeks whenever we don't feel like cooking).
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:40 am

Understand your problem with the beans Bill. Purists would also turn the noses up at the hamburger!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:29 pm

We had a good chili thread here somewhere.

Basically 'real' chili has meat and doesn't use chili spice premix. Real ultra purists grind their own meat, but many use preground beef for convenience. Some add beans (not considered a purist move) and even other adulterants - I've seen fruit, vegetarian chili - I think that one would make a Texan shudder - and even more outre additives.

Might be time for another thread on this some time.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:We had a good chili thread here somewhere.

Basically 'real' chili has meat and doesn't use chili spice premix. Real ultra purists grind their own meat, but many use preground beef for convenience. Some add beans (not considered a purist move) and even other adulterants - I've seen fruit, vegetarian chili - I think that one would make a Texan shudder - and even more outre additives.

Might be time for another thread on this some time.

You do remember Rule Number 7, don't you?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Mother (a term for wife in these parts) loves my Chili just the way it is, and frequently takes a cup for her diabetic snack. Incidentally we use Penseys' Medium Hot Chili Powder, and I don't think I could make it any better from scratch!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Jenise wrote:Frank, at something like a Superbowl party, the probability of a lot of refills for something as good as it sounds like you made is pretty high. And might be especially so if you've made the only hot item. I can promise you this: were I there I probably couldn't get enough of it. Clam chowder is a crave item for me but I never make it at home because of Bob's bi-valve allergy. Were I able to help myself to more and more of yours, I would!

You were right -- more or less. People ate and enjoyed. But the party only had something like 8 people not including toddlers (toddlers are fun!) and so we had to bring some back. Tonight my son was visiting and we basically finished off the left-overs.

I've been sick pretty much for the past week and left the party at half time -- but seeing the Patriots pull it out in the downright melodromatic ending actually made me feel quite a bit healthier. Funny how that works. What a crazy game, a Superbowl for the ages.