Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Meyer lemons

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Meyer lemons

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:21 am

It seems that Meyer lemon trees have become popular items for back yards here in Sacramento. The upshot of this is way too many Meyer lemons showing up around this time of year. We have a small one in a pot on our back porch, so we don't get many lemons out of it, but that's not the case with our friends and neighbors. We had several friends practically pleading with us to take some lemons. We had the next door neighbor kids going up and down the street with buckets of lemons and knocking on doors to offer them. There was a house down the block with a basket out front full of lemons and a "Free" sign on it. We got a bag of lemons as a Christmas present from another neighbor. Does this happen other places or is this a Sacramento thing?

The problem with Meyer lemons is that they're not quite lemony enough for some applications. We've made preserved lemons with them but their thin skins aren't ideal for this. We're not thrilled with the limoncello that they make as well. They're good in some cocktails but not as good in others. The one thing they seem to work really for is lemon curd, and my wife's made a couple of gallons of it since lemon season started.

Anyone have any other favorite uses for these?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Meyer lemons

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:36 am

I'm pretty much with you on this, Mike. I thought it was cool, years ago, when Meyer lemons started showing up way over here in eastern Flyover Country, seasonal and pricey.

But after snapping them up by the bag for a while, Mary mentioned one day, "You know, these are kind of meh." And I had to agree. They just don't have the intensity and snap of regular lemons, and it seems to me that if I needed a Meyer for a recipe, I could just take regular lemon juice, stir in a little water and sugar (and maybe a small squirt of orange if I wanted to make a big deal of it) and I'd be good to go.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:49 am

I like them with certain seafood: mackerel, fresh sardines, and sauteed cherrystone clams.

Once, I tried using Meyer in place of the dash of lemon I include in my cheesecake--DISASTER!
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:53 am

The Meyer lemon glut in Sacramento sounds like the annual fall zucchini problem in New England.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The Meyer lemon glut in Sacramento sounds like the annual fall zucchini problem in New England.

-Paul W.

I was just thinking the same thing. (You should be very, very worried)
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Never encountered a Meyer lelmon, but I am very surprised that harvest time is in February
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Peter May wrote:Never encountered a Meyer lelmon, but I am very surprised that harvest time is in February

They started going in mid December this year. I can't remember what's happened in past years and this one has been quite warm and dry, so they have been a bit early. They're a winter crop around here, though.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Interesting thread because during my years in CA I was a big fan of meyer lemons, partially as something different, but also for the unique floral components. More so than the sweetness. (Although even then I would only use one or two for every five-ten regular lemons, and if you had a tree I could see how they might overwhelm)

I have rarely bought them on the East Coast because the specimens I find are much duller in flavor, just sweetness and none of the delicate floral stuff. But last week I decided to buy a couple and revisit. However they've been sitting in my kitchen and I haven't had the urge to use them yet! I guess in part because there are better options for the acidic bite.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Any dish in particular that you feel brings that floral character out, Rahsaan?

I used the zest and juice of a lemon in a tuna-caper-olive sauce that went over pasta a couple of days ago, and I thought that worked pretty nicely, with some nice lemoniness without too much acidity. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you're referring to, though.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Any dish in particular that you feel brings that floral character out, Rahsaan?

I used the zest and juice of a lemon in a tuna-caper-olive sauce that went over pasta a couple of days ago, and I thought that worked pretty nicely, with some nice lemoniness without too much acidity. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you're referring to, though.

Sounds good.

I make a fair amount of dressings/vinaigrettes/quick pickle marinades where you don't get heat involved to mute the delicate flavors and then depending on what else you have going on the meyer lemon attributes can really shine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Peter May wrote:Never encountered a Meyer lelmon, but I am very surprised that harvest time is in February

They started going in mid December this year. I can't remember what's happened in past years and this one has been quite warm and dry, so they have been a bit early. They're a winter crop around here, though.

The same is true of citrus in general in Central Florida, where my sister has a grapefruit and an orange tree in her yard. Season runs from December through February or May, I think.

Come to think of it, I remember visiting Portugal just before Christmas and seeing citrus trees just starting to bear ripe fruit.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:

The same is true of citrus in general in Central Florida, where my sister has a grapefruit and an orange tree in her yard. Season runs from December through February or May, I think.

Come to think of it, I remember visiting Portugal just before Christmas and seeing citrus trees just starting to bear ripe fruit.

And Texas. too, which incidentally, in my opinion, produces much better ruby red grapefruits than the ones in Florida.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Thomas wrote:And Texas. too, which incidentally, in my opinion, produces much better ruby red grapefruits than the ones in Florida.

That may well be so, but in my world, Indian River white grapefruits from Florida, ripe and in season, leave everyone's red fruits languishing in the dust. Fresh, tart and cleansing, with a complex scent reminiscent of white pepper ... they're the Grüner Veltliner of grapefruit!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 pm

We love Meyers, and CA relatives are obliged to bring when they visit (we can get supermarket ones, but often bruised/tired). Meyers fall in a place somewhere between lemons and oranges, and if you are looking for acidic kick, stick with regular lemons.

Betsy recently got a Sunset that had article on Meyers, unsure where it is. Will try to locate. A few things where I think Meyers shine:

citrus vinaigrettes when you are serving fine wines- softer acids are less clashing. I often do a recipe that calls for a combination of lemons and oranges (zest and juice) for a lobster salad, if I have Meyers then just use those,

We have a favorite fritto of squid, maitakes, and lemons served over arugula. I much prefer the thinner skinned Meyers for that recipe.

I think they make a really nice accent on fish (especially sweeter white things like scallops or red snapper) when you're not in the mood for sharper acids.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:02 am

I think of Meyer lemons as being more like oranges than like lemons. So, if a load were dropped on me, I'd make marmalade. I can always find a way to use a little gremolata. Pasta dishes, especially cheesy or nutty ones, can benefit from some citrus. Slice them into a pitcher of sant'gria!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:54 am

Here's the recipe addendum to the Sunset article Betsy saved.
http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/kitchen ... on-recipes

the scrambled egg with Meyer salsa verde sounds good to me.

I'd think the advantage of the preserved Meyer lemon would be speed. Betsy did the Chez Panisse/Wolfert chicken with preserved lemons and olives, though we used (purchased) regular preserved lemons. She now has 2 jars of lemons she made in fridge, but pretty sure those are regular as well.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:35 pm

I love using Meyer lemons for making preserved lemons. I usually add some regular lemon juice to the cure to bump up the acidity, but I find that the Meyers add a complexity that regular lemons lack that adds so much to the final dish.