Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wok-charred edamame beans in pod

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Wok-charred edamame beans in pod

by Jenise » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Thaw bag of frozen soy beans in pod. Throw into hot wok with a bit of oil. Toss. Throw in some salt and about 1/4 c water. Let them steam through as the water seasons and evaporates. Add a bit more oil and start tossing while the pods pick up dark char spots. Throw in red chile flakes and finish with a good crunchy condiment salt. Go sit on the sofa and eat.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Wok-charred edamame beans in pod

by Christina Georgina » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:14 pm

THat is exactly what I had in mind for the frozen edamame I bought this weekend but wasn't sure how to approach it. I was planning on letting them thaw then sear in a bit of sesame oil then a dash of soy. I like your prep much better and will proceed forthwith !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Bought 2 bags of podded beans and 2 bags of shelled. Using the shelled in salads so far. Love them as a quick interest addition in salad dressed with some Calamansi vinegar and roasted butternut squash seed oil.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:THat is exactly what I had in mind for the frozen edamame I bought this weekend but wasn't sure how to approach it. I was planning on letting them thaw then sear in a bit of sesame oil then a dash of soy. I like your prep much better and will proceed forthwith !

I did two batches over several days. The first I charred in oil in the wok and then they didn't seem quite cooked enough so I added the water to steam them through, which carried the slightly burnt flavor where the pods had charred. Not bad but could be better, you know? So the second time I let them steam a little and THEN went after the char--much better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov